flush mount floor registers

BKHam

Bradley
User
i have the ubiquitous floor registers that we've all had it our house at some point. the ones that either come in brown or white. I was thinking about flush mounting. looking at the products out there, they are much easier to install before flooring is in place.

I also had worries about the strength of these things. once you cut the air slots, these are pretty small pieces of wood.

they need to be 1/2 inch think with my flooring. had the idea of laminating an aluminum sheet in between some 1/8 ply sheets, then do a nice thick veneer for the show face.

is this crazy? anybody ever done wooden ones that held up well?

or maybe just veneered plywood would be strong enough.

Billm0066

Bill
User
I have wood ones in my house and no issues in 5 years. They are strong. I had them installed when my site finished floors were installed.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Last year we had all hardwoods sanded and refjnished. LOML suggested installing wooden flush mount floor registers as well. They have held up well, look great but, I still haven't recovered from sticker shock. $60/register!!!!! Granted they are solid white oak with a matching floor stain and topcoat, but thought that price was too steep!

Wayne

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Wayne, that is not that bad of a price. Yeah, 60 bucks, but remember, it makes the floor look great. The stamped metal ones look really tacky on a floor way too utility.

Last year we had all hardwoods sanded and refjnished. LOML suggested installing wooden flush mount floor registers as well. They have held up well, look great but, I still haven't recovered from sticker shock. $60/register!!!!! Granted they are solid white oak with a matching floor stain and topcoat, but thought that price was too steep!

Wayne

BKHam

Bradley
User

Wayne

any chance you can post a pic?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I used to use some drop in wooden registers. I stopped using them only because the Roomba got caught on them too often. They seem strong enough.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member

Attachments

• 68665C3E-E118-4B36-8232-FCE15BD55E86.jpeg
    68665C3E-E118-4B36-8232-FCE15BD55E86.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 106
  • 63147AD9-DC24-4CFD-ADEC-E0CDCBF5A5FC.jpeg
    63147AD9-DC24-4CFD-ADEC-E0CDCBF5A5FC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 108
  • 5F8D1ADF-2B52-4303-8593-C071B0DEA32B.jpeg
    5F8D1ADF-2B52-4303-8593-C071B0DEA32B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • 7D88B40A-87EA-4A73-9D14-37E51A54092A.jpeg
    7D88B40A-87EA-4A73-9D14-37E51A54092A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119

BKHam

Bradley
User
These are 5 1/2” x 13”.

hey Wayne, those look pretty robust. closer to 3/4. my flooring is more like 7/16. hence my thinking about adding some aluminum.

in yours, i assume there is some joinery between the slats and the outer pieces, can you tell?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Wayne.
I'm curious where did you buy those at $60 each? The one that I posted from Lowe's is also a wood flush mount for $22.
I

GreenStep flooring supplied them as part of the floor refinish.
hey Wayne, those look pretty robust. closer to 3/4. my flooring is more like 7/16. hence my thinking about adding
in yours, i assume there is some joinery between the slats and the outer pieces, can you tell?

The registers are a full 3/4" thick. It appears that the individual angled slats are doweled or morticed into the side rails.

TIDE500

New User
Mike
i have the ubiquitous floor registers that we've all had it our house at some point. the ones that either come in brown or white. I was thinking about flush mounting. looking at the products out there, they are much easier to install before flooring is in place.

I also had worries about the strength of these things. once you cut the air slots, these are pretty small pieces of wood.

they need to be 1/2 inch think with my flooring. had the idea of laminating an aluminum sheet in between some 1/8 ply sheets, then do a nice thick veneer for the show face.

is this crazy? anybody ever done wooden ones that held up well?

or maybe just veneered plywood would be strong enough.
Never had a problem with breaking them in our house, although the HOA club house did have some damage. You cant rest a chair on them!! Biggest problem will be cutting down the volume of air to your air handler. We had them installed when the house was built and have been taking them out. The air noise has diminished. I would do one or two at a time

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS