Flowering DogWood Lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Anyone interested in flowering dogwood lumber? I got a call from my certified forester buddy, who said he's out in the forest clearing hardwoods for a new homesite and is looking at the biggest dogwood he has ever seen. I told him I would ask around and see if anyone wants lumber from it. Normally I would take it myself becuase it's unusal, but I'm going to be moving in a year or so and a really don't want to be hauling lumber to the new home too...

Here's a little info on the flowing dogwood tree and it's uses. http://www.ibiblio.org/pic/NCTrees/floweringdogwood.htm

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Jeff-------You better have some really good blades if you plan to saw up a dogwood. It is extremely dense and hard. I made a picture frame from dogwood once----burned up every blade I put it into!!:eusa_booh . I also made a mallet from a piece of it-------really good for that. That was probably 30 years ago and I still have it, it is a tough wood.

Jerry

J

jeff...

Just left a message with my forester buddy, letting him know I'll take the dogwood. Chances are pretty high it's mine less he found another buyer since yesterday, I'll have to wait till he calls back before I know forsure.

I've never worked with dogwood before, but sounds like I'm in for a treat. I think my 10 degree hook angle blades will saw this bad boy, if not I can order some 9 degree bands.

I'm thinking I'll saw this thru and thru (bark on both edges) to reduce waste, I could edge each slab for maxium width if need be, but what thickness should I slab this at? It's almost sounding like thick slabs are preferred, not the run of the mill 4/4 boards.

Lumber thickness is usally my biggest question when looking at a log.

Thanks

J

jeff...

Forester buddy just called me back, he sold the dogwood logs to someone else :cry: sorry. I should have jumped on it when he first called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS