Florip Toolworks Dovetail Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
WOW!! Just got my dovetail saw from Forip Toolworks!! Have to say this is a piece of art. Not sure I want to use it or hang it on the wall!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 386

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Mine came the other day and I agree with your assessment. But I did make a few cuts this afternoon to compare it with my Veritas and both are keepers. The Florip has more TPI than my Veritas and makes a finer cut. I think the Florip will be better for thinner stock than the Veritas. Both cut smoothly and quickly though.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Florip saws have received excellent reviews in the WW magazines.

rustisamust

New User
Joseph
Nice! Not sure how he makes any money with his prices, but it looks like he's making it work.

I ordered a saw plate and back from him to make a 14" carcase saw, can't wait to start.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Just yesterday I got together with Tom Calisto. Tom is a local tool builder that you can find quickly with Google. He's been on the Woodwright Shop and taught numerous classes up in Virginia so he's on rock star status these days.

If you look at his tools you will know they are well made for sure. Looking at his prices for saws puts them out of reach for me so I looked at the Florip Dovetail Saw and his tool is almost half the price of Tom's saw. At 130 for the small saw, I expect high performance and longevity. The Western saws have the benefit of being easy to resharpen. That's a relative term Richard.. don't shoot me. Japanese saws are close to impossible to achieve the original sharp edge it once had.

Until I find a Western saw that out performs my 40 dollar Japanese saw I guess I'll keep "pulling" away and just admire the beauty of these special tools. My saws are not beaters but they get a bunch of use. What's the line? To each his own or something..

DSC079911.JPG

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just yesterday I got together with Tom Calisto. Tom is a local tool builder that you can find quickly with Google. He's been on the Woodwright Shop and taught numerous classes up in Virginia so he's on rock star status these days.

If you look at his tools you will know they are well made for sure. Looking at his prices for saws puts them out of reach for me so I looked at the Florip Dovetail Saw and his tool is almost half the price of Tom's saw. At 130 for the small saw, I expect high performance and longevity. The Western saws have the benefit of being easy to resharpen. That's a relative term Richard.. don't shoot me. Japanese saws are close to impossible to achieve the original sharp edge it once had.

I would never shoot you, western saws are easy to resharpen once you understand some things, and your right the Japanese saws are really hard to resharpen. But you can send them off to the manufacturer and a lot of them do resharpen. Now that does come at a cost, and why do that when you can just order a new blade right.
heres my take on it, I love working with hand saws and yes I own some Japanese saws too. In my collection I prefer to work with the western saws. I hardly ever pick up the Japanese saws. But I would be hard pressed to let one go for that one time I want to use the thing in a project. That being said I don't work with any new products, with a couple of exceptions being that I built them and for the most part all of my saws are old, some are over 100 years old and work as well today as the did when new. At the same time I would never knock anyone for taking the plunge and buying a really nice tool. Heck Id get excited for you. But what really excites me is building one of that quality and getting use it everyday!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS