Floors locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Does a one have any experience with floor locks like these http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Double-P...&qid=1419634990&sr=1-167&keywords=floor+locks. I was going to start a new workbench build and I am going to need it to be portable but I also want it to be very stable when in use. I was thinking of having casters on the bottom but not sure if locking casters would be stable enough when in use. The table locks seem like they would be more stable and these would be retractable when I need to move the table.

any other ideas are also welcome.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Eric, I'm sure glad you included a link to that item. I was trying to figure out why anyone would want to lock their floors. :icon_scra Now it makes more sense. :gar-Bi

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
These are used on shopcarts brand panel moving carts. I have one, and they work really well. They definitely keep the cart from moving, even when it is on a moving vehicle. The best thing about them is how they release. Basically, you just kick the ¢r@p out of them and they pop open. I always wear steel toes in my shop, so I don't really have to worry about missing. They require a fair amount of downward pressure to lock, but my physique ensures that I have no difficulty in providing said pressure.

K

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
If you anticipate hand tool work, especially hand planes, I would not use casters.

What kind of floor? And how portable do you need? Will you move it every day, monthly, yearly?

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks for the link. I don't see how these locks provide the portability that you want. With or without the locks the bench still has to be lifted or dragged to the new location.

Heavy duty casters provide good support for a heavy workbench along with portability and stability.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-casters/=v7dltb

They take the weight off the casters when you lock them down, so that you don't have to have locking casters, which still tend to have play and swivel to them. You adjust them so that when you step on the pedal, the lock extends enough to become loaded with some of the weight of the attached object. They do not flex like casters, and are very solid mounts.

K

JohnW

New User
John
I have a portable work/assembly/outfeed table with locking casters and it will move and slide a bit while doing certain tasks...like hand tools or loading/leaning on it while lifting large objects up. These floor locks are exactly what's needed to correct that issue. Thanks for posting.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Ken, yes I saw these just and I am considering them. But after looking at the floor locks with the rubber I didn't know if they would be more or less secure. Also not sure if I like the lift part extending beyond the legs where with the floor locks and casters nothing would extend laterally beyond the benches footprint.

This might be overkill but I al well know for over designing things. I mean doesn't everyone need a simple porch side table that can support 300 pounds.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Eric, NYW featured a work bench with "drop down casters." I have a prototype of the leg set for one end that I built for doing demo's. You could borrow it to see if the idea would work for you.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I did a similar thing (the drop down casters) on my outfeed/assembly table. My workbench doesn't move much and when it does, it just gets dragged where it needs to go.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
I do like that flip down casters, very simple. Another question is would the floor lock also help with non level floors. Since this is going to be in my garage depending on where it is placed or moved it is not perfectly level and will possible rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS