Flea Market Find !!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It is GORGEOUS!!!! What did you use to clean it up with? What did you learn about doing something like this (I haven't yet, but the practical knowledge you have learned would keep me from repeating the same mistakes)?

That is one sweet looking piece of metal.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
DaveO said:
Wow, Mike you really turned a gem out of that rust piece of coal. Did you use the electrolysis method to clean her up? I bet you are gonna keep her now:icon_thum

Dave:)

Dave,

I didn't opt for anything but paint stripper, elbow grease, 3m pads, sandpaper, brass brissle brush, screwdriver, old chisel, and just about anything else I could get my hands on to remove the old crud and rust. After getting into it, there wasn't any deep rust that I had to deal with so my methods worked pretty good.

Mike

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Travis Porter said:
It is GORGEOUS!!!! What did you use to clean it up with? What did you learn about doing something like this (I haven't yet, but the practical knowledge you have learned would keep me from repeating the same mistakes)?

That is one sweet looking piece of metal.

Thanks Travis,

I guess I learned that you really can make a silk purse out of a sows ear. At least sometimes anyway. :mrgreen: Seriously, perserverance, and the willingness to get in there and get your hands dirty, I mean real dirty. LOL. In my case, I was trying to get off as cheap as I could and didn't want to go to the trouble to set up a electrolysis system. I did some research on other methods which may have made the job easier but ended up being more costly so I didn't pursue them. I looked hard at soaking it in rust remover solution that claims to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but didn't want to spend $80.00 for 5 gal. to test it. If I were to do it again, I am not sure if I would do it differently or not, I guess it would depend on the condition of the item and again, the overall cost. I know I haven't given you the magic formula but quite possibly, there isn't one. Since I consider myself somewhat hard to please, I am pleased with the outcome so all is good.

Mike

sapwood

New User
Roger
I think you used Botox!

Even with pix, I'm have trouble believing you accomplished that transformation :lol:

I applaud your preserverance and hard work :eusa_clap

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS