Flea Market Find !!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
While strolling through the local flea market this afternoon, I spied something partially covered up with what I will call typical junk. Lo and behold, my mouth started drooling. After uncovering it I asked the booth owner how much he was asking for it and he asked me would I pay $500 and I said "No way". He said well I was asking $$ for it but I'll take $$. After examining it I said "deal". Went and got my truck and loaded it up, brought it home and got my camera and snapped some pics. Thats alright, you can go ahead and say it, better yet I will; I SUCK. What do you think, did I do good? Yes there are some parts missing and some use bruises but as it sits, a little TLC and I can strap this monster on my bench and use it. I will be looking at renovation costs and parts availability but as I said, it is usable as is.

DSCF0002.JPG

See my gallery under "Shop Tools / Jigs for more pics.

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Not knowing what you paid for it is making it hard to determine if you got a good deal. But that is one big heavy duty vice. So if you felt good with what you paid, then you got a good deal. Looks like you got a restoration/rust removal work ahead of you, but they don't make them like they used to.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike,
I concur with your self assessment...........YOU SUCK!!!

Great find.:icon_thum I hope it cleans up real nice. I have an article on using electrolysis technique for rust removal if your interested.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
DL, Is that the fish tank & DC current technique? Have you used it?

D L Ames said:
Mike,
I concur with your self assessment...........YOU SUCK!!!

Great find.:icon_thum I hope it cleans up real nice. I have an article on using electrolysis technique for rust removal if your interested.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Hey Mike, last night you said you were working today. Was that just to throw us off the trail?

mshel said:
While strolling through the local flea market this afternoon, I spied something partially covered up with what I will call typical junk. Lo and behold, my mouth started drooling. After uncovering it I asked the booth owner how much he was asking for it and he asked me would I pay $500 and I said "No way". He said well I was asking $$ for it but I'll take $$. After examining it I said "deal". Went and got my truck and loaded it up, brought it home and got my camera and snapped some pics. Thats alright, you can go ahead and say it, better yet I will; I SUCK. What do you think, did I do good? Yes there are some parts missing and some use bruises but as it sits, a little TLC and I can strap this monster on my bench and use it. I will be looking at renovation costs and parts availability but as I said, it is usable as is.

DSCF0002.JPG

See my gallery under "Shop Tools / Jigs for more pics.

Mike

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
If that says Emmert(sp) like I think it does on that vise, then you do have a "find" on your hands.

Some time, paint, and a little TLC, and you'll have one fine vise.

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow!!! You only paid $$ for it?!?!? You really DO suck!

Say, you know that would look really nice on my workbench.... assuming I ever finish it. :roll:

Here. You'll need this: electrolysis

:cool:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve D said:
DL, Is that the fish tank & DC current technique? Have you used it?

Yes it is Steve, but no I have not tried it yet. Sapwood told me he used it recently and it worked great.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,
Congrat on finding that behemoth!

Here's a coupla links on electrolysis: 1 2 3 4 5

And from my experience a couple of suggestions:

A) Be sure to use washing powder, not baking soda. Only place I could find it was in Kroger's Food store in the detergent section (Arm & Hammer in yellow box)

B) Connect multiple pieces of metal together for the anode/positive. I used old lawn mower blades because they have larger surface area than rebar. Wired them together in a "circuit" to surround rusted pieces.

C) Have a water hose, wire brush and scotch brite pads ready when you remove tool. Some of the rust will turn blackish. Remove as much as possible immediately as it is almost impossible to get rid of it later. It's not rust, nor necessarily bad--just doesn't look as good as smooth shiny metal!

D) It does work!

Da rustafarian,
Sapwood

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Well, I am in the short rows of my Emmert vise rehab and decided to share some new pics. I am making a curly maple handle which will have ends made up of mahogany outer layers with a curly maple inner core. Don't know how it will turn out but will see, should have it done tomorrow, and still have to get the missing parts ( 4 dogs, tilt adjustment bracket) but the hard work is done. Lots of cleaning, sanding, primeing, sprayed it with Black "hand hammered" paint. The pictures really don't do it justice but I think you can get the idea. Check my gallery for more pics.
MIke

DSCF0010.JPG

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow Mike, you have put a lot of work into that vice. It looks really great.:icon_thum I can't wait to see the handle you are making for it. How hard do you think it will be to find the missing parts for it?

D L

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome restoration Mshel!!!!

Did you ever think of going into car restoration as well!!!!!

(I would be curious to see what the vise would bring you now!!!)

Thanks for sharing the PICS!

Wayne

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
DL, know where to get them, just have to come up with the cash. I figure it will cost approx. $200 to get it completed.

MIke

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, Mike you really turned a gem out of that rust piece of coal. Did you use the electrolysis method to clean her up? I bet you are gonna keep her now:icon_thum

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
mshel said:
DL, know where to get them, just have to come up with the cash. I figure it will cost approx. $200 to get it completed.

MIke

Ouch!

Your other photos look great Mike. That thing looks huge!

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Thanks Wayne,

I think I'll stick to what I know. LOL Since I didn't get it to resell, plus all the work I'll have in it, I doubt I could get enough to compensate me for what I will have in it. That being said, I have lusted over this vise for a long time and since I figure it is kinda a once in a lifetime for me anyway, I think I'll just keep it.

Mike

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
D L Ames said:
Ouch!

Your other photos look great Mike. That thing looks huge!

D L

I think I will nickname it "JAWS" With 18" wide jaws, it should hold most anything.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS