Flattening Plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I found 3 sheets of 2' X2' 5-ply 1/2-inch plywood that is laminated on both sides with a plastic veneer. It was in the scrap bin at the Restore Warehouse for $1/sheet. I want to use it for tablesaw inserts, jigs, etc., but each sheet has a small bow in it from other boards laying on top of them.

I have had a section of railroad track sitting on a sheet that is supported on both ends by boards. The sheet deflects under the weight of the track, but doesn't want to stay straight even after 3 days under the weight.

Any ideas on how to straighten this stuff out? The plastic laminate is only paper-thin, so I don't see that as the problem.

Thanks for any feedback.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Good point. Poke holes in it? Maybe not.

If it's as steamy out today where you live as it is here in Charlotte, just set it outside. Then, tomorrow it will be plenty soaked and should flatten out nicely.

rick7938

New User
Rick
You might have a good point about the humidity. Maybe I could make a plastic tent and put a boiler of water under it. Of course, the laminate may turn loose in which case I can use your original suggestion.

Thanks.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If it has that tendency to warp, you may not want to use it for critical jigs. Should be okay for inserts if the bow is slight, or for a sacrificial fence that has a flat surface to fasten it to.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors