Flatbed trailer boards need replaced

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I have a heavy duty flatbed trailer for use around the farm, to include hauling my tractor occasionally. Several of the boards have rotted to the point I'm not comfortable loading up the tractor.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using pressure treated pine, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't unless it is an issue of strength.

Any thoughts on this subject? If not pressure treated lumber, I'll probably go with rough cut white oak.

I'm open to your suggestions though.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
White oak and you would need to use an exterior type treatment, that’s what is used in most cases that I have run into.

JohnW

New User
John
I'd stick with white oak. Pine not strong enough to take trailer abuse but that also depends on what you're hauling and how hard you use the trailer.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
PT pine will work just fine. I replaced the original pine boards on mine a couple of years ago with 2x stock from a big box. The originals were over 20 years old. No complaints. Don't carry any super heavy loads but do move my brother's JD tractor and front end loader from time to time.

It may not last as long or have the same capacity but I doubt you notice any difference in normal use.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have a heavy duty flatbed trailer for use around the farm, to include hauling my tractor occasionally. Several of the boards have rotted to the point I'm not comfortable loading up the tractor.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using pressure treated pine, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't unless it is an issue of strength.

Any thoughts on this subject? If not pressure treated lumber, I'll probably go with rough cut white oak.

I'm open to your suggestions though.
+1 on the white oak-----it has a rupture strength of 97,000 lbs. per sq. in. That test is done with a 1" thick board so if you use 2x material you might could haul a freight train locomotive on it. I did a wagon bed for my FIL once with it and soaked it with used motor oil from oil changes of the farm vehicles. It would repel water almost like wax.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
soaked it with used motor oil from oil changes of the farm vehicles. It would repel water almost like wax.

I wondered if someone would mention using old motor oil. One of my uncles mentioned that years ago as a means of preserving a farm trailer that would get oil and gas on it anyway.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think there may still be some sources around that offer ACQ White Oak if you can find it. Scott Smith may know of one. If not, get some #1 SYP to avoid inconvenient knots and lay it bark side up. Also, treating it with used motor oil or any other such thing may be a problem if it has a drop down at the back.
Tires and oil don't mix unless you're gonna start a stump fire, and that's illegal in some areas.........

llucas

luke
Senior User
Another vote for PT pine....I have a 10k gvw trailer and haul tractors in the 5-6000 lb range. The boards have held up for over 20 years and when one rarely looks iffy I replace it with 2x PT SYP. Not sure how heavy your loads are.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Another vote for PT pine....I have a 10k gvw trailer and haul tractors in the 5-6000 lb range. The boards have held up for over 20 years and when one rarely looks iffy I replace it with 2x PT SYP. Not sure how heavy your loads are.
I have a 60 HP older Kubota. Guessing it is easily in the 6k lb range.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I wondered if someone would mention using old motor oil. One of my uncles mentioned that years ago as a means of preserving a farm trailer that would get oil and gas on it anyway.
It will be used for hauling hay 3 to 4 times a year, so dont think soaking in oil would be pratical or good for the environment!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
About any wood species can work given proper framing supporting the deck. Same applies for metal decking. The tractor tires represent a foot print that spreads the load. These are not point loads. Same with hay. You'll need to assess the spacing between frame members and the "spread" (heard this called road squat once) of the tire to estimate your load.

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
I fabricated a dual axle trailer (8'X18") at least five years ago on which I used PTP. It's turned into a community trailer as everyone around that needs it uses it. It's currently a stage at our local church using it as a stage for outdoor services. I have two tractors that are towed occasionally and many vehicles, bridgeport mills, large metal lathes, you name it, it's probably hauled it. Stays outside and the PTP deck is still kicking. White oak is a lot stronger by what I have read and heard over the years, and fares well in the elements. I would consider the frame cross member spacing in order to determine how much a wood deck will handle. Closer together, less span, farther apart, more span= weaker.
Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer, architect and use a lot of duck tape and epoxy to fill wood joints that don't fit tight!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS