Fixing a run in Shellac

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSevier

New User
Bryan
I sprayed a dresser the other day and didnt notice until the shellac was dry that i have a couple of runs/sags.

I know I can use DNA to fix this, but is it better to just concentrate on the area of the run or should i do a larger area?

Should I go back and respray just the affected area or try to wipe on some shellac?

The shellac is not the final top coat. I will be spraying some WB polyacrylic over it.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My comments are just that, my comments and if Howard Acheson speaks up and contradicts my comments I rescind them as Howard has forgotten more about finishing than I ever thought about knowing.

I would use some DNA to clean up the runs, and then wipe on some more shellac. Once dry, I would suggest lightly sanding the entire project with say 320 to smooth out some and then top coat with your WB polycrilic.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am curious - what cut do you use to spray? My advise would be to wipe using a 1# cut to blend over a pretty wide area, but I will give you the same caveat about Howard or other folks who have used it on large flat projects over riding my advice. Most of my projects have been small.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I had the same problem on a project about 10 years ago. I wiped the run and the area around it with DNA on a rag until the run was completely removed and the edges of the affected area were feathered some. Then I let it dry for 24 hours and then checked it to be sure that it was smooth. Then I re-sprayed the area using a touch-up gun, blending the new shellac into the areas of older shellac as best as I could. After it dried it was nearly impossible to see the edge of the touch-up or where the run had been. You will need to be careful, but it is possible to get good results if this will be the top coat, but you shouldn't have any problem at all if it will be covered with additional layers of finish.

Charley

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I was using the Bulls Eye Seal Coat with about a 10:1 ratio to DNA.

Wow - I measure even amounts to seal with a brush. I also start wiping with that and then add a little more alcohol about every other coat. Not very exact, I know, but that is pretty much going from 1.5# down to maybe 1# by the time I get 10 or so coats on. I think you are spraying about a 2.7# cut.

BSevier

New User
Bryan
Just wanted to say thanks to those who offered advice. I was able to strip off the affected shellac and re-spray. You could not tell the difference. Attached is the finished product- a dresser for my son- after a couple coats of WB poly.

IMG_3817.JPG

View image in gallery

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Sorry, just saw this. If it's not too late, you are generally better off the sand or scrape off the sag or run before applying another coat of shellac. I favor a cabinet scraper but 320 sandpaper on a flat sanding pad will work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors