Fixing a fretboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
A friend on mines backup guitar's fret board decided it was time to start separating from the neck. I put a little glue and used my fret board clamps to clamp it down. I'll check it out tomorrow after the glue has setup good and slowly put tension back on the neck and bring it up to tune. Hopefully I was able to get enough glue in there. I had some squeeze out and hopefully I didn't squeeze it all out. Guess I will find out tomorrow. :)

So here is the before

2011-10-03_19_35_05.jpg

View image in gallery

And the in between.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
it worked very well. I've spent the last 45 mins playing. I scraped the bottom of the fingerboard as best I could with a razor to remove all the glue before. I honestly don't know if they used hide glue on it or not but it's working it's been at A440 all day long only had to retune it just a hair tonight but they are also pretty new strings on it as well.

I'm pleased with it.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
it worked very well. I've spent the last 45 mins playing. I scraped the bottom of the fingerboard as best I could with a razor to remove all the glue before. I honestly don't know if they used hide glue on it or not but it's working it's been at A440 all day long only had to retune it just a hair tonight but they are also pretty new strings on it as well.

I'm pleased with it.

Awesome - I think the reason they for hide glue is easy of dis-assembly, you know if the truss rod breaks or gets stripped, you can use acetone to loosen the glue and pop the fret board. Plus it's also supposed to be more tone worthy then PVA type glues.

One of my sons had the same problem, in pretty much the same place. It was becuase he over tightened the truss rod to raise the strings, which put to much pressure on the fret board. He managed to get it fixed, but it was a costly mistake... 2 hours labor @ 70.00 an hour plus a new nut. The nut was the source of the problem... The E and A string grooves worn down which lowered the strings to the point where the buzzed the frets. Bone only lasts so long :) Looks like that guitar has a zero fret, how do you replace that when it gets worn out?

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Yeah I'm just not sure if they used it or not. I can't remember what they use in production over there.

As little glue as I ended up having to put in there if we had to take the board off it wouldn't be much of a problem.

I've seen them attached with a bunch of different types of glue. I think the only glue I haven't seen used is gorilla glue.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Oh I didn't have to redo the nut. I thought I might have to but it's all working out well. If anything I might take some 0000 Stainless steel to the frets if he's getting some buzz when playing. I didn't get any but he may play enough differently that we might need to adjust it some, we'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors