First Woodworking Project - Pine Shelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
While at my grandmothers house today delivering her new headboard, she brought out something I don't even remember making ... a pine shelf from high school shop class in 1992. Pretty neat, so I thought I'd share.

BTW ... I grew up in a house that barely had a screw driver, let alone knew anything about woodworking. So high school shop classes were where I first learned about tools and found my interest in woodworking (probably because of the wonderful smell of wood more than anything in the early days!)

Photo_Dec_06_1_00_44_PM.jpg

Photo_Dec_06_1_00_50_PM_1_.jpg

Photo_Dec_06_1_00_40_PM_1_.jpg

Photo_Dec_06_12_59_52_PM.jpg

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Nice first project and I'm sure a valued keepsake.

I just wish more schools today would realize that a shop class is a more useful life class than learning how to use an iPad and "social" media.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing Jeremy!

(and for those who wonder - that is why you sign EVERY piece, good, bad, purchased or given away! - see "It's FOREVER!"

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good stuff Jeremy. I imagine she treasures it dearly.
I found out in August that my mother still has a pair of maple and walnut candlesticks I made in high school shop class in 1972 or 73. They were among the first things I ever turned on a lathe. I don't remember making them either.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
You've gotta watch those sneaky Grandmothers, Jeremy. They save everything. I bet she even has a picture of you naked in a bath tub when you were 2 or 3. :gar-La;

Thanks for sharing that great story. I wish I had been more attentive in my HS shop classes. I might be a better woodworker today.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Too cool... Same for me, I also grew up in a house that barely had a screwdriver and highschool woodshop was where I became introduced to woodworking. Its sad for me to say a lot of schools districts no longer offer woodshop anymore :( but programs like ncww outreach help fill some of the void left by the school system :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors