First Train the Trainer is in the books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Our first Train the Trainer session was held today at Bill Clemmons shop in Liberty. Thanks Bill.

We had 14 of us and I want to thank all of you for spending the time to help us get organized and prepare for our first outside classes.

Barb Foreman and her husband donated the lunch - It was good thank you

It seemed we have the right tools and we certainly have an energized team. We might even have started a couple of non-turners down the slippery slope.

What I took away was the need for more detailed project identification, planning and preparation. Hopefully we can get a least 20 different projects that we could choose from.
Aside from pens we need about 3 or 4 more for the lathe, 5 or 6 for the scroll saw and some for the band saw. Plus we could use some for hand tools only and I should not forget carving.
For all of these we need simple instruction sheets, prepped stock and some finished examples.

The next train the trainer session is on Dec 1 and there is still room for more- come join us

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I was there and had a good time learning and anticipating helping folks enjoy woodworking. That lathe stuff seems pretty interesting but I'm hanging on to a large piece of case goods to keep from slipping down the slope! Thanks to Bill for hosting the group today.

bobby g

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
As one of the participants in today's Train-the-Train session, I would like to extend my thanks to Phil and Bill, who served as our trainers/organizers/host (Bill). Based on what I saw in the trailer, it is apparent that many others have been working hard to assure that the trailer is outfitted with first rate equipment and accessories, I lift my glass to all of you! :eek:ccasion1It was a great day...I learned a lot and I did so with a bunch of great folks!

Donn

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
GOOD TIMES, GOOD FOODS, AND A BUNCH "O" OLD GUYS AND one young lady;). WHAT COULD GO WRONG? :icon_cheers we may be on the sumpin here folks so jump in. it's for a good cause.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Many thanks to all the volunteers and contributors to the site that made this program possible. It is my hope to participate in this program someday. In the meantime I will enjoy the accolades of your success from the sidelines and support it in whatever way possible.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I attended as well and I am excited about the enthusiasm and vision for this :icon_thum We were able to brainstorm and laugh and most importantly to me we were able to listen to each other and discuss suggestions and input. 16 brains thinking about the same topic made for some interesting ( and often hilarious ) discussion. Every opinion and suggestion was given the respect it deserved , even if it ultimately ending up not being right for what we want to do. In my case I felt like all of my input was considered and had no qualms about speaking up. Add to that the fact that the leaders were willing to listen as well and we had all the makings of a great planning session. We even had a little entertainment thanks to Berta's Bees :rotflm: Throw in an awesome lunch thanks to Barb ( b4man ) and well.......I know I walked away ready to make this happen.
There has already been a lot of planning and sweat equity invested in this and it shows :icon_thum It has all the potential of being a very important and ( for me ) personally fulfilling challenge as well. If any of you has even the slightest interest in making a difference then I encourage you to step in and give it a shot. This program will require support on so many levels that woodworking knowledge and/or expertise is not a requirement. Only a desire to make a difference and give a little something back.

Great session, thanks everyone for showing up and making it happen
Bill, thanx for hosting .....dood your shop is righteous !! :icon_thum

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Sounds like a good time was had by all and for a worthy cause. Since I neither scroll nor turn, I don't know where I might fit in. But, if there's ever a need to transport the trailer, I'll try and be available. These folk are worthy of our help and attention. :notworthy:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
There are many needs...we are looking at carving, one project done on the drill press, material prep. And always helpers!
if you have extra sandpaper or something that might be needed, ask.

Berta

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
There are many needs...we are looking at carving, one project done on the drill press, material prep. And always helpers!
if you have extra sandpaper or something that might be needed, ask.

Berta

I also thought it went very well. We did pretty much ignore carving yesterday, though Steve Honeycut (hmm - Chrome spell checker wants to change that to "Honeylocust" - must know he is a woodworker :rolleyes:) brought a few prepped blanks for whittling chains that looked like a really good project. Unfortunately, the current carving tools we have are gouge/chisel sets with no carving knives. I think we should consider getting a couple or getting some Denny blades from Klingspor and making handles (I think the detail blades are about $11 or so). On the ride home, 3 of us that have all been to Stave's carving class discussed the idea of using the 3 piece chisel/gouge/v-tool "sets" (Stave just recommended the three to get separately if we didn't have them) to introduce relief carving. Because so many of us took Stave's classes, I know there are lots of us that own that "set" and might be willing to loan or donate them for events where carving will be taught. Better yet - bring them with you when you show up as a volunteer. :D

Thanks again to Bill for hosting, Phil for organizing, Barb for pizza and to everyone else for coming out and sharing ideas. It was a great day. :icon_thum I even squeezed in a mini-tour at Bobby G's on the way home. :eusa_danc

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
To all those who showed up yesterday and participated, and to Dick and Barbara (b4man) for lunch, :notworthy: I have to say yesterday greatly exceeded my wildest expectation. When Phil and I first discussed this session, time was getting short and we figured we might get 5 or 6 people to show up. Instead we had 15, including Phil and I. And as some others have mentioned, there was nothing boring about yesterday. It was full participation by everyone w/ great ideas flying in every direction. I wish I had a recorder running to capture everything. Based on the great input, we tweaked a few things and made some adjustments here and there. I think we're ready to go for the first "live" session on Dec. 8, but we still need more volunteers if we're going to do many of these sessions each year. With that in mind:

THE NEXT TRAIN-THE-TRAINER SESSION IS DEC. 1

and we still have plenty of room for volunteers. Whether you volunteered early on but couldn't make it yesterday, or have just decided this is something you want to be a part of, please try to make the next session on Dec. 1. If you can make it, please go to THIS THREAD and let us know you'll be coming.

And for those of you who have said, "I'm not a turner or scroller, but if there is anything I can do . . ?" YES, there is! At each session we will need several "Helpers". Monitor the participants while they're turning or scrolling; help prep stock on the other power tools we have; demonstrate how to use the drill press, or band saw, or belt disc sander SAFELY; sharpen tools; unload/set-up everything; breakdown/load everything; etc., etc. There's plenty to do at each session, so don't be bashful.

Finally, yes, we have pics to prove it actually happened. :icon_cheers I'll try to get them posted later today. :wsmile:

Thanks again, everyone!

Bill

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I want to thank all the people who are working so hard to make this dream come true. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Oh yeah, Did anyone suggest a Bandsaw Box as a project?

Yes we have a hybrid bandsaw box on our go to project list to use if our other tools are tied up. You cut the outside with a bandsaw, cut the top off with a bandsaw and then hollow out with a large forstner bit and pivot hinge with a 1/4" dowel. Berta made one yesterday and I just made one this morning to have an example. My intent is to have one of every project complete to show the students. I will post photos when I get a few more done.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As promised, here are the pics from the 1st session.

IMG_31731.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    639.4 KB · Views: 159

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
As many have already commented, the ideas that came out of this session were incredible and made me rethink my suggestion. Barbara (b4man) provided a wonderful lunch. It was good to meet many NCWWers that I had not met before. I am looking forward to the first class.

Steve H.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone that attended and supported the effort. I'll be attending the second session as well as this first one. I have a smaller hose for the shop vac that will be useful to attach it to some of the tools for dust collection. I used to use it with my Festools but now have a real Festool vac. I also have some Maple Turning Blanks that I'll be bringing.

- Ken.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone that attended and supported the effort. I'll be attending the second session as well as this first one. I have a smaller hose for the shop vac that will be useful to attach it to some of the tools for dust collection. I used to use it with my Festools but now have a real Festool vac. I also have some Maple Turning Blanks that I'll be bringing.

- Ken.

Thanks Ken. As you know from the session last Saturday, all donations will be greatly appreciated. I went through my scrap bins this week and cut up a lot of turning blanks to be used for practice by the participants. Then yesterday Jerry Craig (jcraig) gave me some more Maple blanks he had. I'll be cutting them up soon. Also, the members of our Greensboro Lunch Bunch are going to scour their scrap bins and bring any good pieces to our next lunch in Dec.

If anyone else has suitable scraps, we'll be glad to take them off your hands. For practice turning blanks, we're looking for stock that can be cut anywhere from 1 - 2" square, and 8 - 12" long. Preferably woods that are easy to turn (e.g. poplar, maple, beech, cherry, walnut, etc.). If you want to cut it into these dimensions before you donate it, that's fine. If not, I can take care of the cutting here.

If you have material that is less than 1" square, we might be able to use it for pen blanks.

Thanks again Ken

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS