First time hitting a saw with a hammer

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
So, I watched several videos on saw refurb. Figured my compass saw was a great candidate as the last few inches looked like the the rolling hills of Wyoming. I almost never use it and it was only for hacking holes in paneling and junk, which I now use an oscillating tool for.

Anyway, I got it pretty good I think. The last couple inches did not seem to what to come in, but the rest is dead on. Can I expect any better? Should I keep at it or quite while it is serviceable?

I also enlarged the handle opening for my big fat paws. Blade is sharp and just rips through wood in both connotations. I might consider using it! Hand saws are easy to grab. No cord. Makes me want to find another at a yard sale and file for crosscut.

Attachments

• 20210829_135038.jpg
    20210829_135038.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 144

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That’s one of those that is better left to another day. Live with until you just have to try again or you gain more experience, which ever comes first.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Actually, I hope I don't have to gain more experience :) It had an "S" bend of more than 3/8 when I started. The real question is if it is practical to get it closer. Not much metal to work with down there. Might look at using one of my body hammers. A cross peen may be better.

I was able to cut about a half inch radius with it, so it is actually quite workable. There is a tiny twit to it too, but really hard to see. I may try several more times for learning and order a NOS replacement I just need to sharpen. I gather the blades were originally considered disposable and originally, the handle had a thumb-screw on the front bolt so one could change various blades easily. I see vintage ads for sets of blades.

I was thinking about tempering after watching the Sellers and other videos. If I were producing saws, I would imagine it was done with a pair of opposing wheels. Or would a new blank not need the process?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you make music hitting a saw blade is actually pretty fun !......way down upon a Suwanne river sounds kinda nice on a saw .........

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yes, often miss-identified. I believe the correct keyhole saw is the smaller version, about 6 inches long. A compass saw is what one would use to cut an arched apron round table etc. Compass are typically rip cut, but a few are crosscut. At least the best I can figure.

Unfortunately many get damaged as they are used for cutting sheetrock instead of the made for use sheetrock saws.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS