First saw handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I picked up this Atkins saw on ebay for a good price. The saw plate was dirty, but dead straight and the horn was broken off, so I decided to try my hand at making a handle (a first). Only electrons wasted were drilling out a starter hole for the inside portion of the grip and drilling the holes for the saw nuts. The pattern was traced from the original and cut w/ a coping saw. I just guessed for the missing horn. Shaping was done w/ a rasp and a couple of files. The finish is 2 coats of BLO.

I realize cherry may not be traditional but I asked my son should I use a light wood (maple) or a dark wood (walnut) and he replied "a medium wood" -well in my scrap bin that menas cherry.

Anyways, I cleaned the saw plate up w/ some sandpaper and MS but there are some pitted spots that remain dark (but no loose rust). The etch was very faint from the start so I'm not sure any more info than it's an Atkins from the medallion. It's a 5ppi rip saw. I sharpened it w/ a progressive rake: 8 degrees for the 1st 2 inches, then gradually shift to a zero degree rake over the next two and maintain the zero rake for the remainder. This was my 3rd time sharpening a saw and am pleased at how well it cuts and easy to start for me.

Also, one of the saw nuts was missing and the corresponding bolt broken. Does anyone know a good source for replacements? I borrowed one from another saw, but would like to have all present and accounted for.

DSC02819.JPG

DSC02820.JPG

llucas

luke
Senior User
LOVE the Cherry! The contours of that handle are begging for someone to wrap their fingers around 'em and make some sawdust. Great Job!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There is a little store I know that sells old saws for $3, I think I better get a few for the screws and nuts.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Re: Saw nuts. I use to find them at hardware stores. Have not tried that in years.
I have bought rusted out saws for the nuts.

Here is a link to one supplier: http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/bad-axe-fasteners.html

Here is how to make one version of a saw nut: http://www.wkfinetools.com/tMaking/art/sawNuts/sawNuts-1.asp lot of work but nice result.

Good luck, the handle looks great.

i looked at badaxe, but these would cost quite a bit more than I paid for the saw. Mike Wenzyloff also sells them, though they are current not available.

Very nice post on how-to make your own split-nut design, but agree that it looks like a fair bit of work (more than I'm looking for).

didn't think about a local hardware store. will give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors