First router - primary use in table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durnik

New User
Bob
To all,

Looking for advice on my first router. Primary use would be for a router table (raised panel doors in my future). Seems like the porter cable is the most often cited router (bushings, mounts, etc.), when router lifts, bushings, dovetail jigs, etc are mentioned. Probably will buy a second router for hand-hold use, so is just the motor sufficient? Without starting a brand war, anyone have any good suggestions for what's the right size and recommended brands (looking to fit the kreg or incra lifts)?

Secondary question would be, do I really need to spend the $300+ for a router lift to start, or can I get buy for awhile with a cheaper alternative (basic router plate), until I gain the experience and need for that sort of performance and usage.

Bob H
<aka Durnik>

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Might want to consider a Triton router (i.e. TRA-001) as it can be adjusted above the table with the stock configuration without a lift. Saves a lot of money compared to a lift and router.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The usual suggestion, which I agree with, is for the first router to be mid-sized. Something that pulls 11 or 12 amps. The highest rated is usually the Bosch but the Porter Cable is also good. Some prefer a DeWalt or Milwaukee. The point is there are several good brands. If you can afford about $200, you can get a fixed base, plunge base combination. That would let you use the fixed base on the router table and the plunge base hand held.

The simplest way to make a router table is just to put a hole for the bit to come out in a piece of plywood or MDF or, my favorite, a sink cutout (if you can fine one) or melamine covered particle board. Bolt the fixed base to it and you have the critical part of the router table. No plate required. I have had several router tables and have never used a plate. I don't think they add anything (other than cost). I usually thin the top in the area of the base to about 3/8.

You definitely want a router with both 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets. The 1/2 should be used when possible but some small bits only come in 1/4 shanks.

I have two PC690s and smaller and larger routers. The PC890 would be the current equivalent. That is the size of router I recommend.

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
[h=2]Now there are many routers with the built-in lift.
A good starter would be Bosch’s 1617EVS 2-1/4-hp fixed-base router features a variable-speed motor with soft-start and a built-in router lift.[/h]

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Bob I have the 3 1/2 hp Triton in my table. Very good machine and they have excellent customer service

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Now there are many routers with the built-in lift.
A good starter would be Bosch’s 1617EVS 2-1/4-hp fixed-base router features a variable-speed motor with soft-start and a built-in router lift.

I have 2 of the Bosch 1617EVS routers, one permanently mounted in my table. I do like this router and it's as much a system as anything. Read "lot's of accessories you can buy".

It is a little stretch to say that this router has a built in lift, though. It does have a separate base you can buy, the RA1165, that allows for above table adjustments. It's what I use on my table. You still have to reach under the table and loosen the motor clamp to make the adjustment and then lock it in.

Personally, I don't mind doing that. It doesn't bother me nearly as much as spending $300-500 for a lift mechanism would.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You can't go wrong with a Porter Cable 7518 motor - you can buy the motor separately without a base so it can be mounted in a router table with a lift. Woodpecker makes some very good lifts and the table to go with them.

I built my router table based on the plans from New Yankee Workshop except that I used the Woodpecker router table top, fence and lift, which I bought as a package. Also have the 7518.

Couldn't be happier with it, although I replaced the lift with the MLCS side-winder which I like better.

If doing raised panels you definitely should be looking at a 3HP with variable speed at a minimum.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
[h=2]Now there are many routers with the built-in lift.
A good starter would be Bosch’s 1617EVS 2-1/4-hp fixed-base router features a variable-speed motor with soft-start and a built-in router lift.[/h]

+1 I have this router and the kit came with the adjustable base for adjusting above the table. You have to get under the table to unlock the router to adjust its height anyways so I rarely use the Allen wrench I just do all my height adjustments under the table. Its a great router

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

Touchwood

New User
Don
Now there are many routers with the built-in lift.
A good starter would be Bosch’s 1617EVS 2-1/4-hp fixed-base router features a variable-speed motor with soft-start and a built-in router lift.

+1 on the Bosch 1617 EVS

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Might want to consider a Triton router (i.e. TRA-001) as it can be adjusted above the table with the stock configuration without a lift. Saves a lot of money compared to a lift and router.

I'll second this, I've had great experience with the 3HP Triton.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a 13.3A motor on my router table now. Not quite the 15A the biggest have but big enough. I used to use a PC690 on the extension table of my table saw to do raised panels. I made, if anything, one more pass using the 690. In other words, it worked fine on over 3 inch panel raising bits but I had to make an additional pass due to its somewhat limited power. I still use this setup as my second router table if I need two set up at the same time. My main router table has a home-made lift.

BobN

New User
Bob
I seem to collect routers. I have one Bosch, 3 Milwaukees, and 5 PCs. For table used I like the PC 7518 the best. For hand held used I love my PC 690 with the D handle and for plunge work I like my Bosch the best.

Bob

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Bob, I've got the Bosch 1619evs 3 1/4 HP. It's dedicated to the table built into my table saw. It's a plunge router but it is set up for table use with a "switch" to disengage the springs for easy under the table adjustment. My wife recently bought me the Kreg router table & lift for my birthday/fathers day/anniversary/groundhog day present. Unfortunately, that router doesn't fit any lifts so I bought the PC 7518 to fit in the lift - which is great and I would also recommend.

Anyway, the 1619 is perfect for a router table with the proviso that it won't fit a lift so it's under the table adjustments. This is made easy with included extension for the adjustment knob. If you'd like to take a look (and use it) you're welcome to stop by (Rolesville) and you can take it off my hands for a reasonable sum.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Bob,
Thank you for beginning this thread! I recently bought the Kreg Precision Router Table deal at Klingspor's and was researching the best router to use with it. I have the Bosch 1617EVS router and was seriously considering buying a Triton TRA001 (thanks to redknife) for the table. After reading the posts in this thread I think it's best to begin with the 1617EVS and a RA1165 under - table base (thanks to m4jw) for now. I can always upgrade later. :D

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
FWIW, I have the large Triton in a table and love it. However, it is too top-heavy to be a good handheld router. So for that, I have a medium-sized Milwaukee body-grip (5620?) and the little Dewalt (611?).

Durnik

New User
Bob
To all,

thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. With every one of them I'm doing web searches and reviews. This is fun :)

Bob H
<aka Durnik>

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
+2 for the Triton routers. I have both the 2 1/4 and the 3 1/2 installed in tables and love both. Quiet and smooth machines, easy to adjust.

Durnik

New User
Bob
Question:

Will the Triton router accept PC bushings (or whatever is necessary) to use some of the common dovetail jigs (PC, Leigh, Etc.)?

Bob H
<aka Durnik>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS