First Real Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Well, it's a start. I've been working on a saw cabinet for my contractor's saw I picked up a few months back and part 1 is complete. I've still got the router cabinet portion to go which I started on today. I've also got to work on a way to cover the back of the saw a little to help w/ dust collection.

A few of the things I've read about, and kind of knew, but had to learn the hard way: :eusa_doh:

1) MDF from the same BORG is not always the same color. You can see the top is a lot darker than the front (I kind of like it though)

2) When trying to maximize yield from your ply, pay attention to grain when laying out the cuts. You can see the end panels have the grain running horizontal. Oh well :roll: , it's a shop cabinet after all.

3) Baltic birch is sooooooo much better than chinese birch!

Oh and Tom, it's my first real "unassisted" project. Don't want you to think I forgot about the curio cabinet we built in class ;-)

I've got a stand and a pair of legs (from the unifence) if anyone's interested (free).

Thanks,

Jeremy

Attachments

• Misc 001.jpg
    Misc 001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Misc 002.jpg
    Misc 002.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Misc 003.jpg
    Misc 003.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Misc 004.jpg
    Misc 004.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 163

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That looks great, and very handy. Nothing like making a project that will help you to work better/safer or easier.
But what is with the sparkling clean floor, did you wax it before taking the pictures 8-O :lol: We need to see some dust (at least I do so I don't feel like such a slob).
Dave:)

JohnW

New User
John
Looks real nice Jeremy...
If you can do that good on your first "unassisted" project, you've got what it takes. :icon_thum

4yanks

New User
Willie
Very nice. By building such a nice project for your table saw, you'll enjoy every project you use it for that much more. Congratulations.

RobD

New User
Rob
I am considering something similar for my contractor saw and have a few questions for you about the casters. Are they always in contact with the ground, or can you raise/lower them when you are not moving the saw? If they are always in contact with the ground, does it seem to affect the saw's stability? I really want to do something similar to this but need to have wheels on it and am worried it will make my saw rock.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Good job Jeremy! I kinda like the contrast of the top and sides. It looks like you meant to do it. :eusa_clap

Arguseyed

New User
Jeremy Taylor
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Dave - There's usually a "little" dust on the floor. My wife is a clean freak and I guess she's rubbed off on me over the years.

Rob - The base does not lower but it takes a fair amount of force to move the beast. I was cutting on it all weekend and forgot to lock the casters but she never once moved. They're 4" ones from Lee Valley.

Allan - See your old planer? A cabinet/stand for it is coming up soon.

Jeremy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hey, that's a pretty spiffy setup Jeremy! Congrats on a job well done :icon_thum

Looking forward to the next project,
Roger

T

toolferone

That came out very nicely! I think that is one of the best ideas for space and usefulness you can do to a contractor saw. I taught you well my son!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Somewhere here I have the article from FWW on DC on the contractor's saw. Ther is a deminsioned drawing for the back cover for a Delta CS in it. When it surfaces again, I scan you a copy.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
VERY NICE!!! The drawers and the shelf look to be real handy. :eusa_clap As a Contractor saw user myself I have a few questions. Out feed tables on saws with an outboard motor are hard to do. How are you going to keep the outboard table level when you cut on a 45? The motor will swing over there and kick that support away. (pick it off the floor and put it back under the table I guess)
Yes!!! dust collection is hard on these saws because they have so much open space. My duct collection port is about the same location. I found there was some dust left in the bottom below the port. Anybody set up with a saw and stand like this and have the port on the bottom? Does it clean out any better? I'm thinking a couple of boards in a V underneith the metal stand slopeing toward the dust port might give better air flow than a deep cabinet. Right now I'm not using dust collection and the deep box collects as you can see. Oh! some day I'll have a clean shop like yours----some day:eusa_thin

Attachments

• Saw.jpg
    Saw.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS