First real project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgarner

New User
Chris
About 9 mos. ago, I got a piece of 3/8" scrap plywood and made a shifter plate for my '91 Mitsubishi beater truck (don't laugh, it works). And I felt a sense of accomplishment I hadn't in a while.

One of my favorite pastimes is the game of cornhole. I bought myself a miter saw, a circular-saw guide and a 6" hole saw and started building cornhole boards. After a couple of sets, I was extremely addicted to the sawdust.

My daughter turns 3 in September and it's time for a "big girl bed." And instead of buying one, I thought I could just try to build one. And after looking at bed plans, I decided to go BIG. Head-first into a fairly complicated project for someone of my skill level. A "dollhouse style" loft bed. And now, other than sanding, assembly and paint, it is nearly completed.

Below is a crappy cell-phone photo of the bookshelf part of the bed (with dadoed shelves even!), along with the various pieces laying around the shop ready for assembly (and some more cornhole boards I'm working on lol).

Needless to say, I'm hooked.

38962_1499885828114_1563236228_31223363_1556485_n.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent work Chris! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Woodworking is like poison ivy. The more you scratch it, the more it itches. So keep scratching that itch! :gar-La; Can't wait to see some more of your work. :icon_thum

T

toolferone

Well done! Looks like you lots of space for your toys/tools.

Look forward to the finished piece.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Looks like you're having fun and that is what it's all about.

Red

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Looks like you have a good start on the rest of the project leaning up against the wall. Post a picture of the finished product if you can. Your shelf section looks good! For someone new to woodworking, I'd say your a quick learner.

jhreed

New User
james
I am jealous of that large shop. Sense of pride in accomplishment. One of the greatest and most rewarding feelings in life. Anyone with the money can purchase something, the feeling is not the same as making something with your own hands. Great for self-esteem.
James

JCraig

New User
Jerry
I am jealous of that large shop. Sense of pride in accomplishment. One of the greatest and most rewarding feelings in life. Anyone with the money can purchase something, the feeling is not the same as making something with your own hands. Great for self-esteem.
James

+1. And the project is looking great. Please make sure you post some finished pictures.

gcgarner

New User
Chris
Here are a few new photos of some progress. One more section of molding on the top part, a little bit of extra sanding, and it's ready for assembly and paint!

38407_1503389755710_1563236228_31232645_6253709_n.jpg

38447_1503389915714_1563236228_31232646_8214951_n.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Oh what a tease you are, Chris. First you show us one pic of some really neat "parts" and just a hint of a shop in the background. Now you show us a couple more pics of "enhanced parts", but still not the completed project. You know we're all sitting on the edge of our keyboards waiting on the final assembly. :eusa_danc And in the meantime, we like pics of shops too. Neat or messy (clean is such an ambiguous term) doesn't really matter. :icon_thum

Seriously, the bed is looking great. Can't wait to see the end result. Has your daughter seen it yet, or are you waiting to show her everything at once? If it's the latter, make sure you get a picture of her response. It will be priceless. :banana:

Bill

gcgarner

New User
Chris
Sitting at the edge of your keyboards waiting? :rotflm: RIGHT ...

Yes, she has seen the parts of it. But she's not even 3 yet. I don't think she has a clue what it is or what it will look like assembled.

I am going to hopefully get some guys to help me move the parts upstairs on Sunday afternoon and put this thing together. It will be a beast of a project.

And I'll get some shop pics up soon! Four months ago, it didn't even exist. Now I have to admit it's a pretty cool little shop. I need to take the time to hang up some pegboard and get organized a little, but that's not as much fun as building stuff :icon_thum.

T

toolferone

Looks great! What are the plans for the open area underneath?

gcgarner

New User
Chris
What are the plans for the open area underneath?

Full-sized bed perpendicular to the assembly. And a night stand in behind the book case. Might even wire up a reading light in there. And possibly do some beadboard or something on the "ceiling" so it's not just slats and the bottom of a twin mattress from the loft bed that is visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS