First project I'll claim. Walnut nightstand

Status
Not open for further replies.

decibel

New User
Patrick
Well I'm 95% done with the nightstand for the wife. Learned quite a bit from this one as I had to do some real joinery. I took this from a plan in Fine woodworking and the sliding dovetails, haunched tenons and frame and panel construction, half blind dovetail drawer box. (leigh jig!) were all first for me. Somehow I made without totally screwing it up :)

I didn't use any stain on the walnut but I was wondering if there are wide ranging colourations of walnut? My 8/4 stock for the legs is darker and the sides had a gorgeous chocolate brown /purple and oranges. Drawer front is a dyed curly maple (I know it has no pull on it yet :-D ) everything else is walnut.

I know didn't happen without pics.. be gentle!

Side view

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Good job.

I think the drawer front would look better without the stain. Contrasting colors usually look good but not quite close enough colors look like a mistake. The maple has more of a red tint in the photo so it looks to me like it clashes with the walnut.

Over all the piece looks really nice and well built.

decibel

New User
Patrick
Good job.

I think the drawer front would look better without the stain. Contrasting colors usually look good but not quite close enough colors look like a mistake. The maple has more of a red tint in the photo so it looks to me like it clashes with the walnut.

Over all the piece looks really nice and well built.

Preaching to the choir on that one Mike at first it was unstained and she liked the walnut so much she then said she wanted just a walnut drawer front of course this was AFTER I glued it up:eusa_doh:. Now me being "cheap" I wasn't trashing that curly maple so I sanded it down and got it to a brown since she only wanted a "slight" contrast. She's happy now but I think I'll have another drawer box to make. The silver lining is I now have approval to follow my tastes as she now trusts them as she as seen her idea was a bit "off" :rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Patrick.

Certainly looks like it is built to stand the test of time. Will be enjoyed for a very long time I am sure!

Thanks for sharing.:icon_thum

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors