First project at the new house: Cedar picket fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR

New User
Dan
Hi Folks,
My first project will be a picket fence (about 450 feet of fence, about 5 feet tall). I think I saw a suggestion on here to buy rough wood and plane it myself to save money. I found a good price on the DW734 and before I buy it wanted to double check to see if that is a good idea since I can't find the thread any more.

If the suggestion is to buy rough, then can someone tell me what to ask for? All of the wood I have purchased in the past has been from a big box store.

I am planning on pressure treated for the posts as I read on here that I should use PT instead of cedar when in contact with soil/water.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Cedar or cypress should both work well for a fence. I like cypress because it works easily, doesn't split as easy as cedar. And, it's more available, generally. M2CW! :wsmile:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Hi Folks,

I am planning on pressure treated for the posts as I read on here that I should use PT instead of cedar when in contact with soil/water.

Dan---------are you aware not all PT material is suitable for ground contact? Since the post will be the mainstay of the fence it is worth checking out. I cant get the term to come to mind for the PT that is suggested for ground contact. There is a difference!!

http://www.ufpi.com/product/ptlumber/index.htm This link should get you started on the types of PT lumber.

Jerry:gar-Bi

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Dan,

Scott Smith (scsmith42 on this site) has a lot of rough sawed red cedar in about the right sizes for your fence project.

bobby g

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Do yourself a favor and paint the ends of your fence post that are going to be cemented the ground with this stuff http://www.tractorsupply.com/paint/fence-barn-paint/black-asphalt-fence-paint-5-gal-3414177

I just opened the 5 gallon bucket up and stood a post in it then used cheap paint brush to brush it up the post to few inches above grade. Pulled the post out of the bucket and let the painted post ends dry overnight. Set the posts in the ground like you normally would.

One word of caution, this stuff gets everywhere - don't say I didn't tell you :)... it's a lot like roofing tar, only thinned out. So expect to get nasty - dress accordingly, have plenty of cleaner to get the stuff off you skin and old throwaway clothes, etc...

As for wood - by all means yes - buy rough cut and mill it yourself. Check with the sawyers on this site, you'll be happy you did.

If your going with ERC - it'll gray pretty quick in the sun. Bleach will make it a uniform white, just right for good stain like Benjamin Moore® Hardwood Finish 321/C321 - The Mahogany color will bring back the nice red color of cedar. Another word of caution... This stain is strong stuff don't leave any rags in the sun they will catch fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS