First pro job

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Nice work, Chad -- One suspects the client won't burn that mantle!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice looking mantel Chad.:icon_thum I really like the way it looks against that stone.

D L

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Very nice Chad!

I know there's a name for them, but I probably couldn't spell it even if i could remember the name.... but the two large "shelf supports" did you purchase them as stock pieces, or bandsaw them out. From the picture they look might nice.

Good work, and I second the other comment about the client not burning this piece :lol: :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Beautiful, very well done. Excellent looking finish and grain match in the wood. I'm very impressed. We need construction details, did you do the dental moulding yourself, how did you cut the flutes, the earlier question about the thingies that I don't know the name for either, etc.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Beautiful! I love the grain. Did you choose the species or the client?
Is that a functional fireplace - what's covering the fire box? Just curious...
Nice work! :icon_thum

cmartinson

New User
chad
hpetty said:
Very nice Chad!

I know there's a name for them, but I probably couldn't spell it even if i could remember the name.... but the two large "shelf supports" did you purchase them as stock pieces, or bandsaw them out. From the picture they look might nice.

Good work, and I second the other comment about the client not burning this piece :lol: :lol:
Hey thanks, well actually it is a display for the stone. The corbels were bandsawn.

cmartinson

New User
chad
Wow too many posts.8-O Thanks guys, well I'll try to answer it all here. It is actually a display for the stonework. I picked the material since oak is the easiest to get my hands on and really it is simple construction. Basicaly(?) oak plywood with the legs attached and a raised panel "look" for the frieze. The flutes were cut with my router and a jig, the dentil and crown was a purchase. I had a friend who owns a bandsaw cut the corbels and finished it off with clear poly. I just wish I was proficient enough and had enough work to do this and this only.:crybaby2:Right now I'm selling sunrooms for a company so I can buy some land and move my family into the mountains. Maybe to the George Nakashima thing.:eusa_pray Again, thanks for the compliments, they help alot.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Nice work Chad. My dad is asking for one of these. So, that's on my list of things to do. Where is your source for the oak crown and dentil?

cmartinson

New User
chad
clowman said:
Nice work Chad. My dad is asking for one of these. So, that's on my list of things to do. Where is your source for the oak crown and dentil?
A custom cabinet company called Wood Products in Grand Forks ND. My Father worked there before I did when they were still actually doing custom built stuff from rough stock. He had some left over when he built a china hutch for my mom.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nice job. I built a mantel for my mom and dad a while back. A word of advice to those building one in the future. To meet code, it has to be a certain distance above the fireplace opening and a certain distance left to right. I cannot remember the figures, so I will not guess, but make sure you size your opening correctly.

cmartinson

New User
chad
The legs are hollow. So, I first fastened blocks to the wall behind the legs and frieze. Then I used a 16 ga. finish nailer on the sides of the legs running parralel to the wall and frieze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS