First post, first furniture project

Status
Not open for further replies.

koslonc

New User
Jeff
Hi All,

This is my first post here. With the kids off to college, I decided to get into the woodworking hobby several months ago to occupy my time away from my day job. I like working with my hands and thought this could also be a stress relieving actvitiy as well. In addition to the miter saw and various power and hand tools I already owned, I purchased a table saw, jointer, a planer, and a pocket screw jig. My 'shop' is now consuming 1 stall of a 2 car garage.

Reading posts here and other forums have really helped me to learn about skills and techniques that I need to work safely and produce decent furniture.

Anyway, my first project is a complete bedroom suite in walnut. Maybe this was too ambitious but there is no turning back now as it was the wife's idea and she now expects results after all the tool purchases. :)

I started by designing the set using Sketchup. It's a fairly straight-forward design as we wanted a more contemporary look.

11-1-20112-13-39PM.jpg

The first pieces I embarked upon were the pair of night stands. I am finishing the walnut with about 8-10 coats of wipe-on polyurethane and rubbing it out with 0000 steel wool and finishing paste wax.

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

After completing the night stands, I went to work on the chest of drawers:

IMG_3493.jpg

So now I'm currently working on the dresser.

Overall, I'm just a beginner and still learning a lot but having fun doing it. The joinery on this project was completed with rabbets, dados, and pocket screws. I'm getting a little more confident with each piece and will start to experiment with more advanced joinery with future projects. In addition to the 4 pieces, I now also plan to add a headboard and a mirror frame to complete the bedroom set.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Sure looks good from here. Great Start.

??? Tell me more about the drawer handles. I just finished a tool chest and those look like they would work well on it.

Thx

Umich684

New User
Jake
Looks great. I really enjoy the flat fronts, have had it requested a lot. That would be a project my clients would be very happy with. Consider purchasing a solid log and having it even cut for the drawer fronts? With some forethought you could play with the graining and have a subtle bookmatched pattern in the stained fronts
Bet you could save money & employ local as well.

Great project & welcome.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Love the look, a bedroom set is on my list of projects as well. I was thinking cherry & maple, but I'm having second thoughts after seeing these pieces!

Anyway, my first project is a complete bedroom suite in walnut. Maybe this was too ambitious but there is no turning back now as it was the wife's idea and she now expects results after all the tool purchases. :)
This is why your first project should be a cutting board. If you need a jointer, planer and table saw for that, can you imagine how many tools you can justify for a bedroom set? :rolf:

Mark, I found what I liked in the big orange store, but ended up with similar handles from Amazon for about a third of the price:
Amazon but especially eBay are excellent sources for cabinet hardware. Hinges, drawer slides, handles etc.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Very nice work Jeff! Photos of your next project will be anticipated by all.

bobby g

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Jeff. You're off to a great start for a first project (or a twentieth project). Post often w/ lots of pics. :eusa_clap

Bill

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
Welcome to the crowd.Some fine looking work there,hard to believe it's your first.Not doubting you,just highly commenting you,awesome.
Tony

koslonc

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the warm welcome and the nice comments. I will post pictures of the remaining pieces as I complete them. I should have the dresser done in about a week or so.

I will make sure my next project requires some additional new tools. :gar-Bi

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very nice job on an ambitious project. :icon_cheers

Are you sure you're not a former woodworker reincarnated as a woodworker? :gar-La;

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, those are excellent!

In particular, I am really impressed by the way that you matched up the lumber on the drawer fronts and sides. The grain and colors blend well from top to bottom, and kudo's to you for selecting wider boards.

koslonc

New User
Jeff
Jeff, those are excellent!

In particular, I am really impressed by the way that you matched up the lumber on the drawer fronts and sides. The grain and colors blend well from top to bottom, and kudo's to you for selecting wider boards.

Thanks Scott, but I must confess that although the fronts, legs, top, and horizontal rails are all solid walnut, the side panels are actually 3/4" walnut veneer plywood. However, I'm pleased that the coloring was a very good match to the solid walnut.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I look forward to your second project where you'll most likely recreate a Goddard/Townsend Block and shell piece or maybe a replica of the Studley tool chest! Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS