First legitimate segmented turning!

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
So, I finally got around to doing a project just for me. It has been my habit to do projects for others but I decided my list of wants is important too as it is my shop. So my first legitimate segmented turning is my urn. It may be morbid to think about but it is no different than keeping life insurance or making final arrangements so your loved ones don't have to. Here are the pics I have of it so far, it's not even close to finish but it is coming along nicely

Attachments

• 20211109_143059.jpg
    20211109_143059.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
  • 20211109_184743.jpg
    20211109_184743.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
  • 20211109_154848.jpg
    20211109_154848.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 170

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Tonika,
That is looking great. Congrats on your first.
I have made several urns for friends/family, even pets.
It isn't morbid. I just tell all recipients not to be in a hurry to put it to use. Lol.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
I added pre lacquer pics, I have to wait til next week to put the lacquer on, the fit of the top is super tight (as it is meant to be so ya know, no spills (; ). Just gotta figure out what I will do for putting my name on it

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_231655_491.jpg
    IMG_20211110_231655_491.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20211110_231655_397.jpg
    IMG_20211110_231655_397.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 89

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Used to be the woodworker would make his coffin and use it as a bookcase or something similar until time for its real job.

Roy G

tdotrob

New User
T.Rob
Very well done! I took a stab at making some rings for a bowl but didn't get the miter cuts right. Yours seems to have very tight seams so you obviously solved that problem. Looking forward to the finished pix.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Very well done! I took a stab at making some rings for a bowl but didn't get the miter cuts right. Yours seems to have very tight seams so you obviously solved that problem. Looking forward to the finished pix.
I kinda cheated with the miter cuts, I used an Incra miter sled after I made sure the blade was set to 90 degrees with my Wixey digital angle finder

Echd

C
User
Cheat? Sounds like the smart way to do it.

I took a stab at a segmented turn this week as well. I have now turned a total of 3 items... a handle for a stanley #5, a cup made from a fallen and despised Bradford pear, and this abomination made from scraps rescued from the burn pile. Your urn shows much more competence and skill than my efforts! I don't really know what I'm doing with my lathe... but it is a lot of fun. I'll do a glue up this week with a bit more structure and planning, this was just off the cuff. I have a lot of cherry and maple scraps and I'll make something that looks of an interlaced layer of brick walls. I think the effect will be striking. I will pay attention to grain direction and orientation, something I neglected in this attempt. Although this wood is quite dry and the part is small so I don't foresee problems.

I actually bought my lathe just to assuage my guilty conscience over wasting small scraps of wood... now no fragment of a tree carcass is too small to escape my butchery and depravity. At present I am leaning hard on some carbide tools, but i did purchase the PSI / Harbor Freight 8 tool hss set that gets very good reviews. They are quite dull and my hand sharpening game for these doesnt seem quite up to snuff, so I'll pick up a set of CBN wheels soon perhaps.

Attachments

• 20211109_144201.jpg
    20211109_144201.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Cheat? Sounds like the smart way to do it.

I took a stab at a segmented turn this week as well. I have now turned a total of 3 items... a handle for a stanley #5, a cup made from a fallen and despised Bradford pear, and this abomination made from scraps rescued from the burn pile. Your urn shows much more competence and skill than my efforts! I don't really know what I'm doing with my lathe... but it is a lot of fun. I'll do a glue up this week with a bit more structure and planning, this was just off the cuff. I have a lot of cherry and maple scraps and I'll make something that looks of an interlaced layer of brick walls. I think the effect will be striking. I will pay attention to grain direction and orientation, something I neglected in this attempt. Although this wood is quite dry and the part is small so I don't foresee problems.

I actually bought my lathe just to assuage my guilty conscience over wasting small scraps of wood... now no fragment of a tree carcass is too small to escape my butchery and depravity. At present I am leaning hard on some carbide tools, but i did purchase the PSI / Harbor Freight 8 tool hss set that gets very good reviews. They are quite dull and my hand sharpening game for these doesnt seem quite up to snuff, so I'll pick up a set of CBN wheels soon perhaps.
I like your bowl and believe it or not the only thing planned with my urn was what wood I would use and how many segments I would use for the rings. The most intriguing projects I have done have usually been happy accidents I could repeat. I have traditional turning tools but I love my rikon carbide turning tools and use the mess out of them.

I just got to the point in turning where I could turn a project with walls as thin as 1/4". I got bit by the turning bug 3 years ago at a Klingspor's Woodworking Extravaganza and have been a happy turner since. The wood that makes it to the burn pile is usually able to fit in the palm of my hand and I can't use it to turn a pen (it's also usually domestic because I will laminate something up in a skinny minute with exotics).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS