First Handtool Project - Small Tool Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe F

New User
Joe
It has been a while since I posted anything. Truth be told I haven't finished anything in a long time. This is my first project that was completed 100% with hand tools. No electrons were killed in the construction of this project. I started this back in mid-July during a week long woodworking class with Roy Underhill at The Woodwright School. It took all this time since then to finish it. After the class I still had to install the hinges, the lock and the handles (from Peter Ross). I also had to fit out the interior and paint it. An hour here and an hour there sure stretches things out. Glad to finally have this completed so I can clear off the bench and start something else.

IMG_41291.JPG

View image in gallery

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work there, Joe!

Bet a full week of Roy must have been an experience to long remember. :)

Looks like many aspects of woodworking would need to be covered in order to complete the box. Dovetails look great and a very neay design.

Thanks for sharing

Wayne

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks to be the idea size for a small traveling chest, just the minimum number of tools needed for a small project.

What are the rough interior dimensions?

Is this from Chris's plan for a small chest?

Joe F

New User
Joe
Wayne,

I have taken other one day classes at Roy's school, but that is just not the same. Wielding saws, planes and chisels 8 hours straight for 5 days is much different than putting in an hour here and there. Roy is definitely fun to spend time with. Bill Anderson (NCWW Member) was also a key instructor in the class.

Here is a link to the class description: http://www.woodwrightschool.com/joinercabinetmaker/
We covered:
Planing 4 square
Hand ripping and crosscutting on the sawbench
Through dovetails
Through mortise and tenon, frame and panel
Tongue and groove with match planes
Hand cut molding with complex molding plane
Glued up with hot hide glue
Probably forgetting some other stuff.

Joe F

New User
Joe
Mike,

I think this chest is smaller than the Chris Schwarz "small" chest. Interior dimensions are roughly 10 3/4" W x 15 1/2" L x 11 1/4" H. If it had been another 1" or so longer inside I could have fit my carcase saw in the till along with my dovetail saw instead of attaching it to the lid. Oh well. I think with a little more work on the upper tray I could fit more in there, but right now I can fit:

Dovetail saw
Carcase saw
#4 1/2
2 block planes
Small shoulder plane
Assorted marking and measuring tools

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
OK, thanks Joe.

I'm thinking about building a kit for my son. I think it needs to be a little bigger than that but small enough to carry easily.

Probably about those tools and a set of rip and crosscut saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS