First Customer For The Woodworking Source and a New Drill Press For Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tracy nice score, you ROCK.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

But I'll show my ignorance. :slap: What is the advantage of a Radial press over a regular one, other than the head turns and looks cool? :thumbs_up What does this feature get you? :dontknow::eusa_thin

Brian.

Brian, I have often wondered that myself and also why they tend to be less expensive than similar size non-radial models. There seems to be more machining involved and just a lot more to a radial DP than a standard.
The only big advantage I can see is in drilling angled holes in large work pieces. Instead of tilling the table and having the piece want to slide off. You tilt the head and the table stays flat and able to support the work piece better.

Dave:)

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
DaveO, I was kinda figuring something along those lines. Maybe it's just me or the head angle in the pics is the wayyyy far extreme but it looks like the bit wouldn't be anywhere near the table and would be hitting anyone standing next to the drill!! :gar-La;

DSCN2217.JPG

Brian.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Tracy,

I have the same drill press. Bought it 5 years ago when we moved to NC.
It's been a trouble free piece of equipment except for one thing. The depth stop is useless not to mention a pain to use. On mine there's a threaded rod with two nuts. You tighten the two nuts together and they're stopped by a cheap, L shaped piece of metal that bends under any pressure at all. To say that the depth of multiple holes is not consistent is an understatement.
I'm told that this would be re-designed on future models and I'm wondering if it has been on yours. I notice that the model number hasn't changed.
I'm hoping I can retro-fit a more stable depth stop to mine.

I hope you get many years of "good drillin" on your new machine.

Ernie

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
To me the biggest advantage of the radial drill press is that the work can remain stationary and you can move the drill press to a precise point on the work. That is the radial function, "inward from the column to outermost point" The 45 degree tilt and the 90 degree tilt is not the selling point for me, just thought it made a lot of sense to show the overall capabilities of the machine. Will I ever use the tilting headstock? Who knows, but it is there if I should choose or need it. The Firestorm that I had prior to this was ok but this is a MAJOR upgrade to it. The woodworking Source will stock a lot of accessories also, not just machinery. He also has kiln dried lumber, lots of it.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DaveO, I was kinda figuring something along those lines. Maybe it's just me or the head angle in the pics is the wayyyy far extreme but it looks like the bit wouldn't be anywhere near the table and would be hitting anyone standing next to the drill!! :gar-La;

DSCN2217.JPG

Brian.

Picture drilling 45º holes in the side of a 6x6. If the head was rotated the other way, so the handles would clear, and the table raised all the way up, it should be pretty effective.
I think, maybe that's why they cost less :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, then you raise the table up all the way and you're set to put some angled holes in some stock.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Tracy,

I should have looked at your pictures more carefully. On second look, it looks like the metal bracket that stops the nuts on their downward travel has been bolstered by a couple of pieces of metal from below at a 45 degree angle. If I'm seeing it right I'm sure the new bracket would fit on my drill press. Here's what mine looks like.

DRILLPRESS1.JPG

If I'm right, I hope you'll let me know how your depth stop is working out after you've had a chance to use it for awhile.

Thanks,
Ernie

TracyP

Tracy
Tracy,

I should have looked at your pictures more carefully. On second look, it looks like the metal bracket that stops the nuts on their downward travel has been bolstered by a couple of pieces of metal from below at a 45 degree angle. If I'm seeing it right I'm sure the new bracket would fit on my drill press. Here's what mine looks like.

DRILLPRESS1.JPG

If I'm right, I hope you'll let me know how your depth stop is working out after you've had a chance to use it for awhile.

Thanks,
Ernie

Ernie, I will be sure to let you know regarding the usefulness and accuracy of the depth stop. So far it seems very solid.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Tracy,
you did well,that is aheck of a great drill press.Being able to drill to the center of a 34" piece of material puts it in a class by itself.I was impressed with the weight and the fit and finish for the price.
You need a much bigger lathe now that you can drill your chuck mounting hole in the center of a 34" bowl blank.Be turning wooden hot tubs.Make sure you bolt that thing down before you try to extend that head out to the max.Good Luck and of course

YOU ROCK ! ! !

By the way,That angled head will come in handy for metal working as well.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That's one super cool drill press there, Tracy.:cool::cool::cool:

Really looks solid and very versatile.

You ROCK, ya know!!!!

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Congrats on "First Customer" and the DP :icon_thum
Corner of that shop is looking a little busy :mrgreen:
Are the tools out growing the shop yet :wtongue:

Enviously,
Roger

TracyP

Tracy
Congrats on "First Customer" and the DP :icon_thum
Corner of that shop is looking a little busy :mrgreen:
Are the tools out growing the shop yet :wtongue:

Enviously,
Roger

Yes, and Yes. It don't take long to outgrow a 10x20 building with thirty years of mechanics tools stored in it:swoon::swoon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS