New User
crpoj
20141010_055354.jpg
20140201_185124.jpg

20140330_152240.jpg

2421.jpg

1991.jpg

20140330_090317.jpg

I recently moved to Greensboro and found this site and thought I would join to share and to learn. I guess I would consider wood work as a hobby but I want to learn as much as possible so that maybe one day I can sell some of my designs and make a little extra cash to buy more wood working tools. This is my first go at making a keepsake box for my daughter. I cut everything on my cnc router that I built. I'm a programmer and machinist by trade and have always wanted to work with wood. The spiders shown are solid maple done in 2 setups. The larger one is about 6 inch in diameter and about 2.5 inches tall, the single smaller one is cut from red oak. These were very fun and challenging to cut. I really enjoyed making the box though and I have more plans to make more. Her name is inlayed about .0625 deep. Please comment on my post as I would like to know if it good or if its crap in the eyes of skilled wood workers.

regards,

Jason

Attachments

• 20140330_152240.jpg
    20140330_152240.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Those spiders are cool! Did you cut the legs individually and attach?

The box looks nice and I'm sure it will be well received! Since you asked for feedback: I would not have chosen figured/ambrosia maple for the box. I love inlay as well as carved accents on pieces like this. But IMO, the grain competes with (and detracts from) the carving and inlay. But that's just me - I tend to prefer simple over ornate. Many do not share my preference. If that is what the recipient likes, than it is perfect :)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That one streak does compete with the name but not a deal breaker in my eye. The box looks great and is really fantastic if this is your first wood project.

crpoj

New User
crpoj
Thank you all for the feedback. I'm still learning about the proper wood to use and grain and all that. I did like the darker section on the lid but you are right it does take away from the inlay some, but it gives it character too. As for the legs of the spider they are not glued on, these are all totally solid pieces. For the box lid I used small barrel hinges as I didnt want any hardware seen. I will post some more pics later. Thanks again for the compliments and feedback. I hope to have my machine setup after we buy our home in a few months.

Jason

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you would like to meet some locals we have a lunch meeting on the third Thursday (which is next week).

It's at the Moose Cafe in the Farmer's Market at I-40 and Sandy Ridge Road.

And in Hickory that weekend will be the biggest woodworking show around.

Come out and join us if you can.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The box looks very nice, and the spiders are amazing. Don't know how anyone has the patience to work w/ such small parts.

As Mike mentioned, a group of us meet for lunch once a month. The next one will be Thursday (16th). We usually meet around 11:30. Hope you can make it.

crpoj

New User
crpoj
Thanks again for the compliments, I wish I could make the meeting but I will be at work. I will have to try and meet up with you guys some other way.

crpoj

New User
crpoj
Could not seem to find a picture of the box finished with the lid open but I did have this one on my phone. First time using these hinges and I really like them. The only complaint I have is they're a bit loud and have a crunchy sound. I tried putting a little lube but didn't do much.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jason,
Not a spider fan - but the work... I can REALLY apprecaite that!

The box - all I can say is WOW! The flat work is really good, but the CNC enhancement is awesome!

I understand you cannot make it to lunch, but I would encourage you to try to make it out to Hickory to the Klingspore Extravaganza http://www.woodworkingshop.com/extravaganza/#.VDf602ddWSo on Friday or Saturday - you will REALLY enjoy that if you can

crpoj

New User
crpoj
Thanks again guys! I will be there on Saturday and hope to meet some of you. I'm not a fan of spider either but I wanted to cut something that would be difficult to see if I could do it. I'm very proud of both the box and my spiders, I'm always looking for very unique projects or standard ones that I could put a unique twist on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS