First attempt at carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
So I tried to cut out a design on the end of a poplar board. Lets just say, it hurts to have 2 horsepower break a board on your hand. Im using a straight bit 1/4" on a board thats about 3/4" thick. The bit is raised slightly over the boards height. Its just very resistant to any kind of turn or pressure. I tried different speeds and even a thinner board but it just keeps kicking back and breaking wood. Once my bit even wiggled loose, luckly i cut the machine off before it flew out. I forgot to mention this is on my router/table.

Any tips?

(Edit: not really on topic, but I just uploaded my guitar album from a few months back to a webhost. If anyones interested in metal Id like you to hear my stuff! http://s61.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=26K895HNYSR8V1XHC5IZ2L63N5)

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
sounds to me like you're climb cutting. With a router, you need to make sure that you are feeding the wood in the proper direction (right to left, in front of the bit). If you do it opposite (either from left to right in front of the bit, or from right to left behind the bit) the router wants to pull the piece from your hands, and will kick back, break pieces of wood etc. I am assuming that since you are trying to cut a design, then you may be feeding the wood improperly. just my .02

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Ok so right to left, it doesnt matter with the grain though? And whats the reasoning behind right to left. The bits blades are spinning in a circle, I wouldnt expect it to cut only right to left. Im not getting logic very well this week for some reason.

Monty

New User
Monty
Dude!!!! You ROCK!!!
rocking.gif

Although I must admit... the first song I queued up was the intro... I discovered that my speakers were a little bit louder than I originally thought. 8-O Don't worry.. the kids are all OK now.. :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Arcrist said:
Ok so right to left, it doesnt matter with the grain though? And whats the reasoning behind right to left. The bits blades are spinning in a circle, I wouldnt expect it to cut only right to left. Im not getting logic very well this week for some reason.

Andy, you want the blades cutting into the wood vs.propelling it along. The bit is turning clockwise so you want to feed the wood into the bit from the right. If you feed the wood into the bit from the left it can grab the wood and shoot it right out of your hand.

Insom. did you save the music download, I just clicked open and I got nothing?

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
save it locally... it is a .rar file, so you may need WinRAR to "unzip" it, then you'll find a folder full of MP3's to play!!!

M

McRabbet

Another very important item is the type of bit that you are using -- Do not try to use a straight bit or you will get lots of tearout. Use a "V" shaped sign cutting bit or a bullnose (round end) straight bit and just take a shallow cut to start. As stated above, move the router toward the cutting edge of the bit. Secure the workpiece and hold the router with both hands.

Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
NOW ANDY!

How in the world did you manage to learn to play that AXE like that? :mrgreen: Now that is some serious guitar work that u got goin' on.

According to your BIO, your a chef. Play a mean guitar and now working on the wooden box artistry. Seems to me you have built lots of career opportunities.

Keep up the good work on all fronts!!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, cool I finally got it to download. Dang Pop-up Blocker was giving me problems. Sweet axe playing Andy!!!! I'm gonna send it to a buddy of mine who loves metal, he'll really like it.
Dave:)

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Thanks guys,

Im using the router mounted under the table. But I should still be able to do cutouts right?

As for the guitar, ive been playing for 9 years, with the first 3 taking lessons. Just like woodworking, the better equipment you have the more stuff you can do. I have a good guitar, and I practice listening to popular european metal bands. I did go to school for the chef thing and got my associates but its not my passion. Music has been my passion for a long time so I do better at it. thanks for listening guys! Hopefully this router doesnt take my fingers off and ruins my music career!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Andy, the same theory applies whether you are in a router table feeding stock into the cutter or freehand feeding the cutter into stock. In any type of cut you want to feed the stock into the rotation not with the rotation. Freehand carving in a router table is actually quite dangerous because you really can't see what you are doing and there is a strong possibility of having your hands pulled into the bit. For that type of operation you are better off clamping your work piece and using the router freehand. What are you trying to carve into end grain? Most carving tends to be done into face grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS