firewood to boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

New User
Jay
A friend of mine came across some cedar that someone had cut up into pieces about the size of firewood. It is green wood and he asked me if I wanted any of it since he knew I do some woodworking. I have a newly acquired 14 inch bandsaw with a six inch riser so I thought about cutting it up into some small boards to use on the scroll saw or small projects. I would like some advice as to the correct procedure for processing the wood to get the best results. I have not done this before so do not be afraid of being to elementary. Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A friend of mine came across some cedar that someone had cut up into pieces about the size of firewood. It is green wood and he asked me if I wanted any of it since he knew I do some woodworking. I have a newly acquired 14 inch bandsaw with a six inch riser so I thought about cutting it up into some small boards to use on the scroll saw or small projects. I would like some advice as to the correct procedure for processing the wood to get the best results. I have not done this before so do not be afraid of being to elementary. Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer.

Process? I fear processes, they don't take into consideration any variables. Policy is one thing process is something completely different.

hummm, Firewood sized chunks, 6" riser, looks like you'll have to get the chunks down to around 6". Remember the pith ain't no good for nothing. so the pith needs to come out. what diameter are these chunks anyways?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What I would do is to make a 90º jig that would ride against your fence or in the miter slot. This jig would be screwed to the log to hold it in place while the first few cuts were made. You can cut the whole log with it that way, or flatten one face and rotate it to ride against the fence or table.
As Jeff mentioned you will want to cut out the center of the log. Milling on a BS is no different than milling on a bandmill, except you need to stabilize the log to move it through the BS, where in a band mill the log sits and the blade is passed through it.

A Google search on Bandsaw Log Sleds will give you tons of great ideas and designs.

HTH,
Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
With the 6" riser, you should be able to get almost a foot wide in cedar. I would use at least a 1/2" blade and with 3 to 4 teeth per inch. If it is resinous, you may have to stop occasionally and clean the pitch off the blade and wheel tires. I have found denatured alcohol works excellently for this.

Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Check out http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodvision/?lid=1339217207 and scroll down to the video "Resawing Found Wood". They show you a simple jig and how it's used.

Thanks araldite, that is exactly what I was suggesting. You might have to navigate through the site to get the specified video. The only thing I would add to that jig would be a 90º fence to give you more stability and attachment points.

Welcome to the site, and thanks for jumping in with both feet and some great info. Please stop by the Who We Are forum and give us all a little introduction to yourself and how you got so smart:icon_thum

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS