finishing vanity tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have built two free standing vanities. The idea is for them to look more like furniture than traditional built in vanities. Was shooting for a little Shaker influence. Not sure if I succeeded.

Oops this is suppose to be about finishing and I really do have a question, problem with the finish.

I used ash and I am now stuck with it. I thought I could finish it the way I have finished kitchen counter tops made from cherry and edge grain oak. Things are not working out so good.

The problem is the deep grain. I used ash because my wife wanted the vanities stained very dark and I could not bring myself to use a more expensive wood. Should have used poplar, to late now. I stained the wood, sealed the stain with 3 coats of wipe on poly and then started applying a marine varnish finish. Even thought the varnish is a satin finish it is much to bright. When I buffed out this varnish in the past it was not a problem. Now with the ash when I buff it out I am left with nice shinny streaks because of the grain. I have tried steel wool and still can not even the look of the finish.

I am thinking about coming back over the top with a wipe on satin finish. Even if this solves the way it looks am I losing my durability provided by the varnish. Is the only choice to sand out the tops and use a grain filler. If this is my only option you might as well give me some advice on using grain filler as I have never used it.

If anyone has had his problem in the past and found a way to handle it I sure would appreciate your advice.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I have just finished a similar project...I built a vanity out of Red Oak and the top out of Maple (not the funnest stuff to work with). Since this is going in the master bathroom, I figured it would take a beating so I used wood dye and H.Behlen's Rockhard table top varnish - really hard finish and hard to use, but I ran into the same problem of not getting the uniform look that we wanted...I ended up having to put 2 coats of stain polycrilic on top of 6 coats of varnish - not the perfect solution, but I just could not get what I wanted.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I stained the wood, sealed the stain with 3 coats of wipe on poly and then started applying a marine varnish finish. Even thought the varnish is a satin finish it is much to bright. When I buffed out this varnish in the past it was not a problem. Now with the ash when I buff it out I am left with nice shinny streaks because of the grain. I have tried steel wool and still can not even the look of the finish.

I am thinking about coming back over the top with a wipe on satin finish. Even if this solves the way it looks am I losing my durability provided by the varnish. Is the only choice to sand out the tops and use a grain filler. If this is my only option you might as well give me some advice on using grain filler as I have never used it.

If anyone has had his problem in the past and found a way to handle it I sure would appreciate your advice.

They do make a dead flat varnish for interior use, but I'm not sure how it would work over the marine varnish. They also have available flat polyurethane or an additive to make it flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS