finishing this baby cradle...any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Ok, Baby Cradle is pretty much complete with the exception of finish. I wanted to post pic's of but can't seem to get them off my phone this evening.

I initially wanted to spray the finish on. However, I have realized that is probably not my best option because of the construction of the piece (cradle swings between two posts) and I modified the plans somewhat to help hide bolts. So it is pretty much all one piece now. I think most everyone knows the plans I am talking about. I am now thinking more of a wipe on danish oil or wipe on poly finish over stain. I do have to darken it a little, not as much as I initially thought.

Here is a pic of the sides I had posted earlier just to give you an idea of the nooks and crannies I will be dealing with

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyone got suggestions. Remember I have not built a piece of furniture in almost 30 years. So finishing is going to be a challenge for me...and believe me it has been a challenge for me already.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I don't see any particular reason you couldn't spray a finish, although all the vertices will create a lot of challenges if your are not experienced with spraying (lots of places for finish to pool).

If you want to use a wipe on finish, why not stick with the classic of 1/3 tung oil, 1/3 mineral spirits and 1/3 oil-based poly ? You can add a bit of oil-based stain to the mix if needed, although the tung oil will impart some orange hues anyways.

Test the finish before committing !

-Mark

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
This is a cradle I made a few years ago from Maple and Cherry. I wiped on a coat of BLO to darken the Cherry and top coated with several coats of Formbys Tung Oil Finish.

Cradle_012.JPG

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I would get myself about a quart of Waterlox satin and just wipeon a few coats.

I took this simple route on a shaker style cherry side table a few years back and it has darkened considerably to a nice aged patina.

This is a picture very shortly after completing it....

Table is about 2x darker now.

HTH

Wayne

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I don't think I would intentionally darken it Wayne, the cherry will darken nicely on it's own with age. I think I would go with a wipe-on finish - Waterlox or similar - cut 1 to 1. There is a nice article here by BryanS on the method. Takes some patience but will build a very nice finish.

FWIW,
C.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Anyone got suggestions.

Yes, mail it to my pregnant daughter-in-law, married to my Army son in Colorado, I will send you a check, and you can make all of the improvements on a new one you learned along the way. Oh well, I can try, can't I. That is what she wants me to make. Still have to decide on a plan. Hope mine turns out as nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS