Finishing Maple

Maine Guide

New User
JP
Hello,

I’m looking for a finish that will keep Maple from turning amber. I like oil finishes especially Odies oil and Tried and True. I’m not a big fan of polys I really like wood that people want to touch and appreciate the natural color and grain. That’s just my choice and don’t like the plastic look neither does my wife. Any help appreciated greatly. Everyone has been really nice, in this forum. Men and women who share a common ground and want to help as well as learn.

Thanks to all
Maine Guide

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Clear Lacquer. However all finishes will discolor over time depending how much sunlight/uv exposure it experiences. Even wood suffers from this. So, set your long term expectations correctly. That said, I have some pieces the finish did not discolor, the wood only minimally after 15 years. Birch & Maple.

Last edited:

ssmith

New User
Scott
+1 on a few light coats of clear lacquer. I've had good success with Watco semi-gloss.

This board is partly maple and is finished with 4 coats. As you can see in the last two photos the color change is minimal.

Last edited:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I've used Odie's on maple sanded to 400 grit and it didn't change the color very much. Give it a try and see what you think.
The only way to not change it at all is either clear lacquer as said above or water-based poly.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
water base polly will not amber....... about 6 coats and its good to go

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Its hard to recommend a finish unless we know the application. Is it furniture? millwork?salad bowl?. Im guessing interior use only since its maple. Take a look at ArmRSeal and Hi performance top coat (water based Poly) both from General finishes. ArmRseal is an extremely durable oil/varnish blend and their hi perf topcoat is so forgiving and simple its foolproof, actually both finishes are!. Both finishes will give you that hand rubbed appearance/feel once completed.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Have you looked at a floor finished with Bona? I’ve used it on furniture and floors.

It’s a water based poly, but it doesn’t have the plastic look (think modern furniture in birch with a sometimes rather stark look). Bona’s poly also comes in a variety of shades depending on the look one is after. It’s also not cheap.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS