Finishing Hawaiian Koa wood....Any experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Hi Folks,
I've been working on a super secret project for Christmas....so secret I cannot post it here because I know that the LOML prowls around on this site and I cannot take the chance......
Have any of you worked with and finished Koa wood?
I have sanded and worked with this wood and I cannot get the finish i am looking for.
I've gone to 400 grit and then some.
Is there a grain filler someone can suggest that will work well with this wood?
I'm really interested because I have another 130 LBS of wood being shipped from Hawaii for the next project and this one needs to be done by the 24th.....

Thanks,
Ron

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've only made pens from Koa and the finish turned out well for me. What kind of finish are you trying to get?

JohnW

New User
John
Ron,

I'm trying to post a pic of two koa box tops I recently finished. If it didn't make it here, look in my gallery. The picture shows both tops side by side. They were cut in sequence from the same piece and finished with 10 coats of TruOil. Notice they don't look the same....the only difference is the one on the right had its pores filled with a water based high solids filler. I like the one on the left much better. Much brighter and stronger definition. My best results on wood that requires filling...is to apply the first few coats of TruOil with 400 or 600 grit wet/dry paper. The slurry can be worked into the pores with a credit card or plastic spreader. This lets ALL the natural wood colors show through.

These were sanded through 1000 grit, 0000 steel wool, then pumice and rottenstone. Then wax. It's a real smooth semi gloss sheen that I like to get on guitars...and real special boxes for special people.:icon_thum

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
John,
I have had the same result with the filler. It seems to dull the beautiful figure on the wood. I will have to try the tru oil. I used different oils but have not tried the tru oil. I usually sand the Koa to 400 or 600 grit then used BLO and then a teak style oil.
I'll have to try the steel wool and rotten stone. You're the second to suggest that with the koa.
The funny part is I used hand rubbed poly and the finish came out as nice as the work did with the oils, The oils seemed to hide less of the chatoyance (iridesence) of the wood than the poly.
I'm afraid to use the polisher on it because of the way Koa reacts to temperature. It seems to darken if you get it close to a heat source.
I've been doing all of the finish sanding and polishing by hand.

Mike, I'm looking for a nice deep shine that will hold up to use. It is on a larger piece that I'm putting the finish.
I may have some nice pen blanks from the cut offs...I am looking forward to try turning a pen or two.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors