Finishing exterior solid wood front door

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
I'm looking for suggestions-- I just finished and installed a new (raw) door for a friend. Used oil primer followed by Valspar Ultra Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss black latex. I knew from the doors on my own house, that I could expect some problems at the weatherstripping-- paint sticking to the strips, etc. High gloss... latex.... high outdoor temp... all potential problems.

So, I left the door to dry in my garage for about 4 days, prior to installing, hoping to give the paint at least a fighting chance to dry before contacting the weather strips. It's been installed now for about 2 weeks, and my friend indicated the paint has pulled away along several sections of the weather stripping (possibly down to the primer).

Any suggestions for fixing?? Anything that will work well when in contact with the rubber of weather strips?

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I suspect an adhesion problem to the primer. As the topcoat is latex (which is notoriously weak in adhesion) that is your most likely source of the problem. If the primer has not pulled away, then I would sand the area very lightly (don't do more than roughen the primer) and put on another topcoat or two. The plasticizer in rubber will often react with the vinyl in your latex paint with unpleasant side-effects, such as this. You won't be able to counteract that in any easy way. One thought - could you plow out a small dado in the door and lay in another strip of weather stripping? That would not look too bad with a black door and give you a very good seal in the bargain.

Unfortunately, that means taking the door off. I hope there is an outer door!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors