Finishing Book Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
There's lots of info on forums and net about wood finishing choices and techniques, but I'd like to find a book that presents the info in an organized fashion.

Sooo, what books should I check out????

Sapwood

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
gwoodfinish.jpg

CIG_front.jpg
Would be two great places to start.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Roger, I can tell you from experience that the first book Steve listed "Great Wood Finishes" by Jeff Jewitt is a very good book. It is well laid out and covers Finishing tools, surface prep, working with stains and dyes, filling pores, glazing, applying top coats, rubbing out, cleaning and repair, and specialty finishes. Its an easy read and lays stuff out in a step by step fashion

D L

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Sapwood... arggg... you have reminded of my finishing skills. Or, should I say lack thereof. I can minwax.. and poly.. that's it. I NEED these books.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would suggest anything by Bob Flexner (sp?) he is another finishing expert. I joined the www.WoodWorkersBookClub.com and got 4 good woodworking books of my choice, and a short finishing guide by Flexner for $18, all you have to do is decline their monthly offers via a e-mail sent, for the next year, very easy to do.Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm going to recommend "Understanding Wood Finishing: by Bob Flexner. The reason, I like it becuase he explains why and he stays away from the "religon" of finishing, which I've seen in other books. Once you've read this book, then are free to adopt whichever finishing religon that you like.:lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
What a great forum, with exactly the responses I hoped to get :eusa_clap

Ok, you did your part, now it's on me :cool:

Unfinished,
Sapwood

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I give up trying to post a fancy picture.

I have the following book in my personal library and found it to be pretty good.

Author: Bob Flexner Title: Understanding Wood Finishing (American Woodworker) (how to select and apply the right finish)Publisher: Readers Digest, Tuesday, December 01, 1998 ISBN: 0762101911LCCN: 99019181Type: Book: Non-fiction Pages: 310Binding: Paperback

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Sapwood,

I got Jeff Jewitt's book. It is very well organized and pretty complete description starting from surface preparation to brushing, french polishing, waxing, spraying, etc.

You are wellcome to take a look at it, I just finished reading it cover to cover. My shop is in Rougemont, but I work in Durham so I can bring it by are we can meet somewhere. Just lemme know if you are interested. I also have a little write-up by Jerry Work (about 30 pages) that has a wealth of information. That one was posted a while ago in the Felder owner group forum.

...and talking about books: I reading "The complete Guide To Sharpening" by Leonard Lee ( founder/pres of Lee Valley tools) . This is the best book on sharpening i've seen.

Bernhard

sapwood

New User
Roger
hpetty said:
I give up trying to post a fancy picture.

NOOOO! Do not give up on posting pixs!!!!!! :eusa_hand

We/I will be more than glad to assist you. Can't do it today--only got a minute, but I'll be glad to PM my phone number or vice versa and we can do a step by step live consult. If you need help quicker, I'm sure someone else will be glad to do the same.

Later,
Sapwood

sapwood

New User
Roger
Bernhard,

Thanks, I've been lucky enough to get a coupla books at the local library, but it's time to expand my own library for reguar reference. I've read Leonard Lee's book and just finished Garret Hacks' "Handplanes"--both were great.

Anyway, we need to get together in Durham for lunch or something after the holiday hub-bub subsides and talk about woodworking and books :-D

Gotta go,
Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS