Finishing Baltic Birch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I'm in the process of cutting down some Baltic birch ply for new tabletops in my restaurant. Would Zinsser's shellac sealer help with stain absorption if I stain them? The shellac would go on first I assume. Thanks!:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
If you go to Zinssers web site they give you instructions for mixing shellac & alcohol, and apply what’s called a wash coat of shellac and sanding. They don’t recommend a type of stain to use other than follow instructions that come with whatever stain you use. Would depend upon the stain you use and application. Gel stain might be the most forgiven, and not tend to blotch as much.

This site talks about different approaches for successfully staining Birch.
Successfully staining birch

Also these products might work well whether you use a wash coat of shellac or not.

Deft Step Saver Stain & Finish
Deft Finishes - The Wood Finish People

Miniwax Polyshades
miniwax.com

Both Deft & Miniwax provide instructions for their products.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Cut some Zinnser's Seal-coat (the dewaxed flavor) with enough DNA to make approx. a 1/2# or lighter cut. I think that would be a 6:1 ratio of shellac to DNA. Apply a wash/spit coat of the shellac like Wildwood suggest and give it a light sanding. Then proceed with your staining schedule. A gel stain will give you more control. I would avoid Polyshades as I have heard nothing but bad about them.
You also might consider a natural finish on the BB, blond shellac or BLO for a little color and a good poly finish is very contemporary, and looks good with the BB.
Dave:)

pslamp32

New User
Peter
You also might consider a natural finish on the BB, blond shellac or BLO for a little color and a good poly finish is very contemporary, and looks good with the BB.

This is what I was thinking. Will poly be good enough for a restaurant tabletop or should I get some of that pour epoxy stuff? Thanks!:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A Bar Top epoxy type finish will offer more protection, but you can achieve a very protective finish with regular poly, if you add enough coats. And the poly finish is much easier to obtain, it just takes a little more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS