Finishing Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I am almost done with building a toy chest for my neighbor's little boy. I made if from oak plywood and red oak for the corners and trim.

So, what do you suggest we use to stain and finish it? :dontknow: What type of stain will work easily for them? :eusa_thin Is poly in multiple coats the best for a durable finish? Also, what is best to use for filling the small brad holes on the trim and not change colors too much? :icon_scraThanks in advance for your input. Finishing is one of my weak areas! :notworthy:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I wouldn't stain it, not unless you wanted to achieve a specific color. I like to use Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO) to give it some warmth. I know Wayne (Canuck) likes to use a Golden Pecan stain to deepen the color, that's a very nice look that doesn't obliterate the natural grain.

For a topcoat, I would use three coats of water-based poly, like Minwax polycrylic. Three coats, sanding lightly in between. It dries fast, it doesn't off-gas, and it should stand up to Tonka trucks being thrown into it. If it's to store stuffed animals, shellac would also be a good choice.

For filling the holes, Famowood is a pretty decent product, it actually takes a stain fairly well. I've also had good success with using fine sanding dust mixed with yellow glue. You want the consistency of toothpaste. Smear it into the holes, let dry, and sand flush. This filling typically gets a little darker than the rest of the piece when you apply oil, which is what you want. Dark spots are less noticeable than light spots.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Bas pretty much nailed what I would do with the exterior coat(s).:icon_thum

I recently finished a QSRO footstool for my grandaughter using the Minwax Golden Pecan stain and a few coats of wiping varnish. It really just adds a slight glow to the oak....

100_3651.jpg

I personally need to try the Famowood. Stuff from the BORG in a tube that claims to be stainable really ain't!:BangHead: The sawdust trick has been successful for me in the past. I also have mixed the sawdust with a wee bit of the stain and filled the holes prior to the topcoat of poly.

Finish the inside with only a couple of coats of clear shellac and you won't have the off-gassing that seems to last foreverwith oil and gives a little protection.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the finished toybox.

Wayne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS