Finishing A Kitchen Counter Top

obxbronco

New User
Rick
I'm fixing to build some new kitchen counter tops out of rough cut 2x4 oak (I have the hookup with a guy that has a mobile saw mill). Any ideas as what to finish it with? Never done anything like this.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
new kitchen counter tops out of rough cut 2x4 oak

Once you get the boards planed and the counter tops assembled move on to the finish steps. +1 to Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish like Phil used. Here's a link to kitchen counter top finishing with Waterlox.

Last edited:

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Once you get the boards planed and the counter tops assembled move on to the finish steps. +1 to Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish like Phil used. Here's a link to kitchen counter top finishing with Waterlox.

Waterlox

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'm fixing to build some new kitchen counter tops out of rough cut 2x4 oak (I have the hookup with a guy that has a mobile saw mill). Any ideas as what to finish it with? Never done anything like this.

Just out of curiosity, how do you plan to check the wood's moisture content before gluing up the countertop.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Your may want to give those boards 6 months to a year of stickered air drying if they were just cut from the log a month ago to get them down to at least 14% mc. Oak is notorious for checking and splitting if dried too quickly, especially during the initial stages of the drying process, so although you do want air flow around them, you do not want them in the direct sunlight.

I did successfully make a stool out of freshly split red oak, but the thick pieces were hand riven and none of the pieces were over 2' long. You will probably have the most problems with the flat sawn boards (cupping as well as checking/splitting).

jmtcw

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
2” thick, minimum 2 years air drying inside conditioned space. If drying in humid NC in a shed could be closer to 3 years.

That is why lumber is expensive.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS