Corporate Member

Attachments

• 4A5F5B0B-36AE-4838-B58C-C84EBE71238A.jpeg
    4A5F5B0B-36AE-4838-B58C-C84EBE71238A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 179

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Nice. I’m a couple months out from hickory stair tread install so I’ve been reading your threads. Like you noted, I need to also fix some irregular rise issues. Good luck with the install. I’ve been debating prefinished vs site finish before install.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I debated for a bit about prefinished versus site finished for the steps too.

The deciding factors for me were cost and anti-slip. I found a sale on the treads at least ago and they’ve been in storage since. I found a lot of favorable reviews about Bona anti-slip. Bona was easy to apply, dried well and should hold up.

The only issue I ran into with the finish were drips in the bottom side of the treads. I had the treads in their installed position, which allowed the finish to spill over. Bona instructions indicated heavy costs, which worked well on the top.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I also prefinished my treads. In my case I used oil based poly. The treads are oak and I like the look of oil based on oak. It takes a month to fully harden but I don't use those stairs a lot so that was not a problem. I rolled on the poly with a little roller. I also got some runs on the underside where they do not show.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS