Finished Podium Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Our Youth Pastor wanted a larger podium for holding his Bible and notes. CoolKenny and I took the old one and made a new top. He wanted it 24" wide x 16" deep with a "cubby hole" for other stuff.

Here's what we came up with.

Special thanks to Canuck (Wayne) for not only scrollsawing the cross on the front; but resawing and planing the piece of walnut. I appreciate you buying that new saw off CL just so you could cut my cross(es). Saved me a lot of money!!

The sides are oak and 1/4" oak ply. The top is 1/2" oak ply with a 3/4 walnut edge. Bottom is 3/4" oak ply. Cross is walnut.

After some good advice in a past post, I used Watco Danish oil with Golden Oak stain on the whole thing, even the walnut. I am happy with the way it turned out and it matches the lower part pretty well.

I didn't make it fireproof, so he if he preaches "fire and brimstone" I may need to occasionally touch up the stain.

102_0016.JPG

Podium_front.JPG

Podium_back.JPG

Brian

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I appreciate you buying that new saw off CL just so you could cut my cross(es). Saved me a lot of money!!

Brian

Brian,

You know that you really need/want a scroll saw for your shop there, Brian!!:gar-La;

You guys really did a nice job on that podium!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I really like the contrasting walnut banding. Sure does the compliment the red oak and makes it all pop!:icon_thum

Betcha that the pastor really will appreciate your work as well!

Well done and thanks for posting the final result.

Wayne

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Forgot to mention that we only built the new top for an existing podium. Used the old post and feet.

I could use some advice on technique for getting the banding and the plywood flush. A couple places the ply is slightly proud of the band and I couldn't do much sanding or else I would get too thin on the top veneer.

Is it always best to leave the band slightly proud and then sand it flush with the plywood?

Brian

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Is it always best to leave the band slightly proud and then sand it flush with the plywood?

Brian

I would say yes Brian. Whenever I am adding banding to the face of a plywood shelf etc. I leave it proud by about 1/18" and then trim it off with a router when the glue has dried. Very little sanding left to do. (Just went through this type of process when adding a poplar face frame to a plywood cabinet.

Wayne

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
Very nice Podium. From the pictures it does look like the stains match. Good job. You did such a great job, you will probably get asked to make something else for somebody.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors