Finished my latest project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
We'll after going to Japan, Asheville and being busy at work I finally finished my latest project.

I used Tried & true varnish oil then about a thousand coats of blond shellac. First time using shellac and I really liked it. So easy to put on and it dries so quickly.

Anyway here is the proof.

IMG_4720.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

IMG_4722.JPG

IMG_4721.JPG

IMG_4723.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That's an awfully nice picture frame, I don't know why you have all those other pictures here. The one of the picture frame is really nice.

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Wow Thats some great work! I love the doors! So what part of Japan did you visit? I have family in japan & hope to one day go myself!

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Thanks for the kind words.

I would definitely suggest trying shellac if you have never used it before. This was my first time with it and I will use it again. 1-1/5 lb cut padded on dries so quickly. I could do 20 coats in an evening. So much easy to deal with then some of the polys I've used. I don't have a spray system but you can get a very nice finish with shellac with a little elbow grease.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Beautiful piece, Wes!
Did the visit to Japan influence the handle design? They are unique I really live them:icon_thum

Roger

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
That's a very sharp looking project, Wes!
The lighter tone you achieved is very similar to what I'm hoping to gain from the alder armoire I'm currently preparing to finish. Approximately how long did the Tried and True varnish oil take to dry? Did you have to lightly sand the surfaces prior to applying the shellac coats?

I really like that finish! :icon_thum:icon_thum

Kicbak

New User
Wes
The Tried & True took about a day. I used 1 coat on most parts but 2 on the top. Shellac stills to just about anything so I didn't sand the before applying the shellac. I did two or three brushed on coats then sanded them down some to even it out. Its a really easy finishing technique. I was amazed how many coats you can do in one evening. I used a little mineral oil to keep the pad from sticking as I wiped on more coats.

Wes

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Totally my idea. I like doing the design as much as building it. I wanted to make a cabinet to replace a table that was there but I wanted to make it look less like a standard box and more like a unique piece of furniture. We had the leather boxes so I figured I would make a little place for them under the top and not just do the standard set of drawers.

From this projected I learned some great stuff
1) I love working with walnut and maple.
2) Wood from Rockler while more expensive is good stuff.
3) Shellac is awesome, mixing it from flakes is really easy to do.
4) Euro hinges are really nice
5) Adjustable shelves with shelf pins is a really nice touch.

Wes

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Nice work, Wes! I really like the contrasting colors AND the finish.
Is that an inlay in the doors?

Kicbak

New User
Wes
No, It's actually an 1/8" piece of walnut I cut on the scroll saw. This was my first attempt to include some free hand work into something I've made. Came out okay but man I need more practice with the scroll saw. I don't see how the Scrollers here do what they do!!!

Wes

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Nice work. The finish looks gorgeous. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I'll bet it looks even better in person.

I like the freehand addition. pretty cool.

Chuck

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
That really looks COOL! Very NICE... Beautiful!

Question:
How did you connect the top-section verticals that make the walls of the top open section to the Bottom Top?

I've been in the process of designing a small entertainment center. I want to have an open section, like yours, just below the section that holds the TV. I want to be able to yank the TV, remove the top section where I can get to the rear of the equipment sitting on top of the bottom section and just below the TV.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS