Finished my first carvings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
So here are two signs I made for my grandpa out of bass wood I recently bought a 5 piece power grip carving set that I love!!!! before that I had a cheap 5 dollar set from HF that couldn't carve soap! the First one I carved & then used my burnzomatic to give the carving more color & finished it with danish oil! & the second one I painted in the carving lines with black acrylic paint & finished it with Shellac! So I'm still New to carving any advice on what I could have done different or just tricks of the trade would be great!

DSC02315.JPG

DSC02312.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I love the Elmer Fudd one, that's classic.
One of my favorites is "Beware of the dog, he can't hold his licker"

Dave:)

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Great looking work, I like the Elmer Fudd one too Dave.. :icon_thum :icon_thum

:wav:

cskipper

Cathy
Those look great! I haven't used a power carver, so I have no suggestions. The 2nd is my favorite too.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice signs, I like the idea of supplementing carving with woodburning for clarity. I considered the HF carving set last time I was there but if even basswood challenges it I now know to avoid it .:wsmile:

woodrat

New User
Archie
So here are two signs I made for my grandpa out of bass wood I recently bought a 5 piece power grip carving set that I love!!!! before that I had a cheap 5 dollar set from HF that couldn't carve soap! the First one I carved & then used my burnzomatic to give the carving more color & finished it with danish oil! & the second one I painted in the carving lines with black acrylic paint & finished it with Shellac! So I'm still New to carving any advice on what I could have done different or just tricks of the trade would be great!

DSC02315.JPG

DSC02312.JPG

Hey Dawg,

What would it take for me to get the one that is my signature line?
It fits me perfectly and that is why I chose it. :eusa_danc

I'm not a carver, but they look good from where I sit.

Thanks,

Woodrat

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Man those look great! Good job carving and finishing! I might need to get me a set of those Power Grips :tool::tool::tool:.

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Hey Will,

I don't have anything but a set of cheap HF carving tools to compare them too! But straight out of the box the power grip carving tools cut like a hot knife thru butter!!! I love this set they fit perfect in my hands I can use them with the butt of the handle in the palm of my hand for removing alot of wood or hold it like a pencil for the more detailed work the short neck gives me better control so I feel really confident using this set! & at 29.75 + S.H. I don't feel like I broke the bank to get them! perfect for a starter kit! I ordered mine from Rockler & I paid 29.99$ plus I think it was 9.75$ for S.H. if you goto japan woodworker they are 29.75$ with 7$ and some change S.H. I found them after I had already ordered from Rockler but I do plan on getting the blue steel chip carving knife AndyBarnhart has one & says he uses it all the time!

Man those look great! Good job carving and finishing! I might need to get me a set of those Power Grips :tool::tool::tool:.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Jonathan,
Clearly you have a lot of "natural" talent. And I love the whimsical choices :icon_thum

Give us more!
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS