Finished Loft for Girl's Bedroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Remember this "Ask the NCWW?" post from back in July? :rotflm:
https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62617

Well, it's finally finished. Here's the link to the photos at Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9mtm3F7TD00ATbBu2
(This is the best I can do until the image uploading system gets fixed.)

All important parts are made of clear SYP. Less visible portions got varying appearance grades of plywood and MDF. The "finish" is an exterior grade solid "white stain" from the BORG that seemed to best match the "nearly paint" look of the IKEA "white stain" furniture that accompanies the loft.

It's a built-in, with piece-by-piece fitting on site. (The construction method was just like building built-in bookcases.) I just hope I don't have to rip it out too soon.

Things learned:
1) Construction Screws are WAY better than lag bolts.
2) You can get great exercise going back and forth between bedroom and shop, again and again to fit pieces.
3) It's painful to paint over beautiful SYP.

Thanks to all who contributed thoughts to the design. My daughter (and her friends) all love it.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done, Dave.

(This is the best I can do until the image uploading system gets fixed.)

How are you trying to upload images to your Gallery and attach them to your thread? The system still works but some folks think it's a PITA and have given up. Your 3 pics should be quite easy to do. I upload pics all the time and don't have the problems that some report. :icon_scra

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
The photos were all turned on their sides - even after I went back and rotated them in photo editing software and re-saved.

Decided life was too short. They pop up everywhere right side up

Nicely done, Dave.

How are you trying to upload images to your Gallery and attach them to your thread? The system still works but some folks think it's a PITA and have given up. Your 3 pics should be quite easy to do. I upload pics all the time and don't have the problems that some report. :icon_scra

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
The photos were all turned on their sides - even after I went back and rotated them in photo editing software and re-saved.

Decided life was too short. They pop up everywhere right side up

It's the forum.

When you post pics and I get an email notification, then view the pics through said email, the orientation is correct. When I come to the forum and view the same pics, they're rotated.

Please forget I said anything about it. An admin will come along shortly and tell us all how hard life is. How I have offended the masses and why I shouldn't deserve to live.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The photos were all turned on their sides - even after I went back and rotated them in photo editing software and re-saved

Take the photos with a plain old digital camera and stop using a phone camera. Go your Gallery photos and click the photo, then "edit photo" which is on the lower right, rotate CW or CCW then add the corrected photo to your post. This one is fine as I uploaded it from the camera...

funky_table.jpg

Then I rotated it clockwise while in my Gallery. Whoops!

funky_table.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Fail. They are both oriented the same!

[Edit] let's not butcher the man's awesome build thread.

I'm not butchering his thread but trying to give him some helpful information about posting pics. Why don't you start a new thread solving his problem so that this one isn't butchered.

Geez, a curmudgeon back at another curmudgeon! :eek:

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I'm not butchering his thread but trying to give him some helpful information about posting pics. Why don't you start a new thread solving his problem so that this one isn't butchered.

Geez, a curmudgeon back at another curmudgeon! :eek:

Thanks, Jeff. You tried the same fix I had tried. We both ended up with all our pictures turned on their sides. There are explanations for this elsewhere on on the site. My recollection is that it has something to do with the module the forum uses for the photo gallery. It's old stuff that is not longer supported/updated (ie zombieware). Until we get a new site put together, my understanding is that links to third party sites is the way to go.

RayH

New User
Ray
To heck with picture rotation, the finished product is great! I'll bet your daughter is way proud of Dad for what he has given her. She will remember that a lot longer than she will any of the pictures on NCWW.

Good job!!

Ray

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
It's the forum.

When you post pics and I get an email notification, then view the pics through said email, the orientation is correct. When I come to the forum and view the same pics, they're rotated.

Please forget I said anything about it. An admin will come along shortly and tell us all how hard life is. How I have offended the masses and why I shouldn't deserve to live.

No offense taken. Thanks for your support.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
:confused:
Pictures are a major pain in the butt with lots of caveats. A long term solution is being worked on.

That'll be a welcome part of the pending upgrade. However, I haven't had the many problems that others have had with pictures. I use a digital hand-held camera instead of a cell phone, upload them to "Photos" on my Mac computer (Photos is the resident Mac photo handling package), and then upload them to the Gallery for posting.

The original photo which uploaded fine.

P10100017.png

Rotated in "Photo" then uploaded to the Gallery (rotation within the Gallery doesn't work, DAMHIKT).

P101000118.png

Maybe it's the use of cell phone cameras coupled with the funky photo software here at NCWW that's so problematic. :confused:

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Maybe it's the use of cell phone cameras coupled with the funky photo software here at NCWW that's so problematic. :confused:

The one thing that has kept me from finding a solution that everyone could use is figuring out why some have issues and don't. All my pics are taken and uploaded to the gallery via cell phone and I don't have, or haven't had any issues. Through research, it's been a problem on many boards dating back to 2013. There were some changes that were made in the CSS code that worked for some but not others. It's a coding and format problem and it impossible to figure out how everyone's images are coded and handled when uploaded and delivered.

The only viable solution is to have an image rotation tool in the tool bar but that's just not going to happen with what we have at current. So, everyone will just have to deal the best they can for now. Good stuff cometh in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS