Finished-kidney shaped coffee table

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
After posting about different ways to do this job, i ended up creating a big outline that i got printed at Kinkos and then cut a template out of 1/8 plywood. This project used Jeff's maple from Illinois and it is beautiful (if not easy to work-he was right that sanding was tough). It is the first time i used the bandsaw to resaw for a bookmatch and i ended up with a slightly thinner top than i wanted but i think it is fine. i used loose tenon joinery but because i didn't have a lower support i added Kreg screws as well. was also the first time that i used a router table without a fence and that went fairly well but if you rub your hands along the edge it isn't perfectly smooth. I was nervous about the router part but think i will do a better job and feel more comfortable next time around. Still thinking of what the side tables will be-either round or oval.

IMG_4701.JPGIMG_4702.JPGIMG_4703.JPGIMG_4721.JPGIMG_4770.JPGIMG_4769.JPG

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Beautiful job Tim. I love the grain. Did you elongate the screw holes in the cross braces to account for wood movement?

thsb

New User
Tim
Thanks. yes, pre-drilled a significantly wider hole than needed which is why i have a washer with the screw. i think i gave it plenty of room-it is the same strategy i have used in the past without a problem.

Beautiful job Tim. I love the grain. Did you elongate the screw holes in the cross braces to account for wood movement?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim,
That Looks GREAT, I knew Jeff's wood - would look great, but WOW!

I think your table design shows it off VERy well!

thsb

New User
Tim
crap. i thought i could rationalize that the thick, straight legs (which showed off the grain) presented a contrast to the roundedness of the table but couldn't quite get there. I tried to curve the existing legs and they became thinner, thinner, thinnner. So starting over on the legs. l liked showing off the grain in the legs so will be going with more of a crescent shape. probably going to add another smaller kidney underneath. Should probably plan all of this ahead of time as I would save a little wood, but I like working on the fly and there is no one pushing me to get it done.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
You did a good job with that curly hard maple - that stuff ISN'T easy to work... but the grain and the hues are ao nice it just kinda makes you want to continue working through the difficulties. I guess they don't call it HARD or ROCK maple for nothing.

Glad to see you made something really beautiful out of that electric grain. Really nice book matching top. Were you able to count the growth rings? They are so close togther its hard to keep track of them all and its pretty unusally to find old growth anything to work with anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS