finished carved city panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Finally finished the panel!!!!! and only had 520 hours in it! There are 1123 windows in it and there are 64 shades of 6 basic colors...each custom mixed. I guess the painting was around 70 hours. I shipped it Monday to Minnesota and was thrilled it was over...I have been working 6 days a week for 2 1/2 months trying to get it done. That is a long time to go without a paycheck! Hope you folks like it.

Stave
stpaulforum2.jpg

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Count me as impressed! :icon_thum

It is quite an extraordinary bit of artwork you have created. Thanks for sharing it with us!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Excellent! I hope you aren't too burned out on large panels, because I bet you will get inquiries from other places once this one is out in public.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
Just in case you can't tell, my chin is in my hands in wonder!!! What a gorgeous labor of love. I am awed and amazed! :eusa_clap

stave

New User
stave
The panel is 43 1/2" x 91 1/2". I had to ship to Minnesota so by the time I built the crate and added the padding the overall crate dimension was 4' x 8'...weighted 350 lbs which was mostly the crate.

Thanks for all the nice comments. This was one of the most difficult commissions I have ever done. The perspectives were not that bad to draw but getting the illusion was really tough. Most of the panel was carved using a homemade chisel about 3/4" wide with a 13" handle. The long handle gave me the ability to control things better.
I was not a painter but I guess I qualify for semi-pro now...man what tedious and frustrating work..especially the windows! The windows were a 5 step process plus the paint so I really did 6738 windows!

Again, thanks, it makes me feel good that all that work is appreciated.

Stave

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Unbelievably beautiful! Great attention to detail.

The boat in the river, the train with the smoke billowing out. Excellent job! :thumbs_up :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
As a novice carver, I am unbelievably impressed. I know how much work this was and to have painted it so well is truly impressive. I would give anything to be able to carve something so beautiful. GREAT, GREAT work.

stave

New User
stave
Thank you all again. Speaking for myself here...even after carving full time for 32 years I still question my work. Oh I know I have the technical part down, I sure have had enough practice but I still question my design skills and the overall quality of my work. I know for sure that all my carvings don't come out great. I must have gotten this one right though and I sure appreciate the boost you have given my confidence. It is responses like yours that make the hardships that come from a profession such as wood carving worth the effort.
Thank you

Stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS