Finished after 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

blbradford

New User
Bruce
Finished my project after several months. I made 3 shelve units with drawers and a mirror with similar wood/inlay. This project was my design and very challenging because normally I am a square corner designer and this was the first time I was thinking out of the box.

I re-sawed some tiger maple and veneered it to a curved MDF done on the band saw. The quilted maple on the blue wall will stay with us, but the other two units are for my two children (ahead of Christmas this year J). I made two different back boards for them. At first I made the large curved backs (like a tepee) and was happy with them but my wife said it had a Chinese look to it ~~ that sent me right back into the shop because that was not what I wanted. So I made an optional low profile back with a slight curve. Please let me know which one you prefer.
B E.jpgDSC01386 - Copy.JPG
You can see the rest of the pictures in my personal gallery.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
They are both very nice, I especially like the maple. Is that a clear lacquer finish?

I think I prefer the lower back, but you almost over-reacted. I'd like to see it just about twice that high.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Beautiful work!

Your wife is a wise woman; the one on the right is IMHO a more integrated design, with every surface referencing a radius and no sharp terminations. The sharp "point" of the one on the left, while well-executed, is more visually disruptive and takes away from the overall impact of the piece, because it draws too much attention to itself. Without it, the piece looks like it is part of a large disc embedded in the wall—which is a great illusion— and is echoed by the mirror, which also allows the viewer to "look inside" the wall.

Well done.

K

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
very nice indeed! great design and execution! I really like the design for the pulls, especially the other set in your gallery.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bruce, spectacular! I think that Kevin hit the nail on the head with his explanation. I also agree with Mike though that the back could be a little higher.

The one with the taller back might be interesting if it is placed above another shaped object - perhaps a large vase underneath it.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful work on both, Bruce. But my vote would have to go for the lower back. What wood did you use for the inlay on the mirror?

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS