Finish with high UV protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Our front door faces dead west. The front door is large with the wide side panels. The whole thing is made out of wood. The bottom half takes a real beating from the sun I have just finished sanding and staining and now need to select a finish. Does anyone know of a finish with a high UV protection rating. I did all this once before and used an exterior poly. I do not remember the brand. It sure did not hold up like I thought it would. I have a front porch so rain is not a problem.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Paint will offer the best protection, but I don't think that you want to go that route. The second best would be a Marine Varnish, but you should expect to have to re-finish that every 3-5 years.
UV light will just about break-down any finish, and wood. The best way to beat it is to exclude it completely i.e solid paint.

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I haven't used it yet, but I've heard that marine finish is the way to go if you want anything outdoor to be nearly indestructible.

Trent

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Go to a marine supplier and look for an exterior marine varnish. Avoid poly varnishes as poly rapidly deteriorates when exposed to UV. Look for brands like Interlux, Pettit, Wolsey and, best of all, Epifanes. These finishes are expensive but will work the best. Be sure to follow the directions regarding the number of coats to apply.

Now understand that UV inhibitors continually weaken as they absorb UV. You will need to periodically sand the finish and apply a couple of fresh coats. In most cases this is required annually. Every 5-7 years the finish will need to be completely stripped and re-coated.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have had good luck with Helmsman's spar varnish. Our wooden storm door faces directly south, so it sees a lot of sun. Been about five years now since last refinish.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Another consideration is how much turpentine you splash on the door on a regular basis. By that, I mean, do yo have a lot of pine trees nearby? Some of them drip sap all the time... and that sap will eat the finish off anything.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS