Finish Question

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I am in the process of building a Kitchen Island. My wife wants the cabinet portion painted to match our baseboard/crown molding, which is sort of a creamy off-white. I could go the Sherwin Williams and get some enamel paint and be spot-on, but several of my fellow woodworking friends, whose opinions I highly respect, have suggested General Finishes White-Poly. I have never used any GF products, but based on posts I have seen on this site, GF products seem to be well-respected. The issue I am finding is that while the GF White-Poly is tintable, stores that sell it are not equipped to do color matching. General Finishes will do custom tinting for their commercial customers, but that means ordering in quantity. I really would like to use this product, but if I do I will need to try my hand at tinting. I realize that using this DIY process I will not be able to achieve a perfect match, which is okay, but I need to be reasonably close. Has anyone here had any experiences with tinting GF White-Poly? The island top will be hard maple and my current plan is to use clear poly or GF conversion lacquer.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This is a general comment ... because most material are getting more and more exotic in their mix design, we as builders of anything have to become more knowledgeable about chemistry.
The above preamble is a way to say find out what the chemistry is (usually the spec data sheets and msds. These sheets will tell what it is chemically, then you can find out who works with that type of material.. Then it becomes way easier to find the right person.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I could go the Sherwin Williams and get some enamel paint and be spot-on,

My philosophy is "Don't make things any harder than they need to be". You have an easy answer there. Your wife would be happy. Go with it and leave the GF Poly for another day. I like to try new stuff too, but I do it first on a not so important project or simple test pieces. Just my opinion.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
My philosophy is "Don't make things any harder than they need to be". You have an easy answer there. Your wife would be happy. Go with it and leave the GF Poly for another day. I like to try new stuff too, but I do it first on a not so important project or simple test pieces. Just my opinion.
Sage advice....

drw

Donn
Corporate Member

Pete, I appreciate the insight! I do have a tendency to overthink things, which occasionally results in an issue that doesn't need to be an issue.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
While there is a slight learning curve anytime you start spraying a new to you product, one test panel will get you through that.
The advantage of the commercial finishes is it will be dust free in 15 minutes, ready to lightly sand and then second coat in 45 minutes and the final coat soon after. Your project can be out of the shop within half a day and have a fabulous finish

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS