Finish on Exterior Eastern Red Cedar

AdamO

Update your profile with your name
User
I'm doing a screened porch with cedar decking and a post and beam support system for the roof. I'm leaving the posts and ceiling rough, bandmill sawn, but I plan to sand the floor.

What clear finish products have you folks used on cedar exposed to the weather? I used Penofin on some cedar decking I put in 10+ years ago, but I wanted to check to see if you have favorite products I should try. I've been reading good things about Defy Extreme Clear, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll need something for the sanded floor as well as the rough sawn parts--I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be the same product.

Thank you for your help!

Adam

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I used sikkens cetol that Phil suggests on my front door and a cedar porch swing. They look great 2 years later.

AdamO

Update your profile with your name
User
The Sikkens product has color added right? Do they make a clear product--if so which one? Thanks for your help!

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
You can get clear versions. Go to a PPG paint store, they carry it now

Just as a FYI, the Sikkens product line sold in the US were sold off by the parent company Azko Nobel to PPG. My understanding as part of the agreement, for a short period of time PPG could continue to use the Sikkens and Cetol trademarked names. That agreement now has expired, so the products are now named PPG Proluxe.

For instance just bought the old product known as Sikkens Cetol Window and Door from the PPG store, the new name is PPG ProLuxe Window and Door.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS