Finish on Cypress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'm in the process of designing/ building myself an outdoor cooking center. I figured I'd build it with Cypress and let it age. Wife wants to "stain" it... Not sure exactly what she means at this point but I believe she only wants to stop it from weathering to a gray color.

Can you/should you seal it with something like Thompson's water seal? I don't want to monkey with any stain.

Suggestions? Getting rid of the wife wouldn't be my first choice....

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
All I know about Cypress is that paint will not adhere to the wood for long. Hence homes in Charleston SC's historic district need repainting every few years.

Brantnative

Jeff
Corporate Member
I'm in the same situation as Chris. I've built some furniture that's meant to be out on the patio made of cypress. I understand and don't mind the greying. But what will happen when it's exposed to the rain and sun? Will it decay faster if it's not treated with some kind of barrier?

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
In my experience with building and maintaining outdoor Cypress projects, it's best to just leave it alone. Any finish is going to need routine reapplying (at least annually). Yes it'll grey but just pressure washing restores it to "like new". It will last a very, very long time without anything on it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Cypress is pretty durable with very good rot/decay resistance even when exposed to direct sunlight and rain. The low maintenance option is to let it age and turn gray naturally, otherwise you're destined to refinishing every 2-4 years. If you must treat it by LOYL mandate then Sikkens Cetol products are supposed to be pretty good but still require periodic maintenance.

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/pondering-outdoor-finishes/

These are our cypress planter boxes...

fresh and new...

P5070121.jpg

...and about 6-8 years later with no finish or maintenance...

P1010001.png

Touchwood

New User
Don
I built outdoor deck furniture probably 15 years ago. The Cypress weathered grey after a couple years with no finish and stayed that way. Only deterioration is some carpenter bee holes and they actually don't look bad

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I have two Adirondack chairs made of Cypress that we've had out in the weather for about 15 years.... Still in excellent shape and I've never done a thing to them other than pressure wash them from time to time. I like the look..... I'll try to convince my better half.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Cypress is pretty durable with very good rot/decay resistance even when exposed to direct sunlight and rain. The low maintenance option is to let it age and turn gray naturally, otherwise you're destined to refinishing every 2-4 years. If you must treat it by LOYL mandate then Sikkens Cetol products are supposed to be pretty good but still require periodic maintenance.

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/pondering-outdoor-finishes/

These are our cypress planter boxes...

fresh and new...

P5070121.jpg

...and about 6-8 years later with no finish or maintenance...

P1010001.png

I like the aged boxes. I'm surprised the legs didn't wick water and age faster. Good stuff there.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Can you/should you seal it with something like Thompson's water seal? I don't want to monkey with any stain.

Chris
The only wood I like better for living in the "weather" is black locust. Cypress has a long standing reputation for longevity in the elements so why make work for yourself? No wood I know of is going to stay "bright" in the weather.

Cost: If you have to finish it and you want to get on a work schedule to maintain a cooking station, I'd go back to cedar. Its cheaper and it will most likely out last your stove. Good Luck.

Don't think your the only one with this kind of thing going on. Most of the readers are thinking -- glad its him and not me working this one. I've been there and built something to please my wife knowing I didn't build the best mouse trap. In your case it could have long term effects... if she really hates looking at it, there might be a decrease in the grilled delights this summer. Choices.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User

Chris
The only wood I like better for living in the "weather" is black locust. Cypress has a long standing reputation for longevity in the elements so why make work for yourself? No wood I know of is going to stay "bright" in the weather.

Cost: If you have to finish it and you want to get on a work schedule to maintain a cooking station, I'd go back to cedar. Its cheaper and it will most likely out last your stove. Good Luck.

Don't think your the only one with this kind of thing going on. Most of the readers are thinking -- glad its him and not me working this one. I've been there and built something to please my wife knowing I didn't build the best mouse trap. In your case it could have long term effects... if she really hates looking at it, there might be a decrease in the grilled delights this summer. Choices.

I don't want to get into the "schedule" of maintenance... At all costs I'll avoid that quagmire. I know Cypress will outlast me so that's why I'm leaning that way. Cost is not an issue... My bride wants me to have what I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS