Finish on a Theodore Alexander dining room table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Dave:
There is no good answer here - without confirming directly with the provider/vendor/maker what was used. I am unfamiliar with Theodore Alexander, and quite frankly was too lazy to follow the site to try to determine. A custom maker can use any finishing options, whereas volume factory production tends to use methods that fit their budget, schedules, and quality requirements. Mass produced, and many custom made pieces, will be spray finished, but even that does not the materials to a very short list. Lacquers, conversion varnishes, polyurethanes, are among the categories that may have been used. You can likely think of more.

Here is what I would do if it were my dining room table (and I do have a commercially made table with an unknown to me finish). I will outline my cleaning process, used before any decision to do something "drastic." Of course if this is heat damage to the finish, cleaning won't address that. If it was a cover or lid with warm water vapor that penetrated the finish, then a good dose of patience is required: 24-48 hours in AC is a good start. Of course if she has used waxes or PLedge or silicone to keep it clean and shiny, then what I suggest below may work, or may not.

Use a water based soap solution (like the cheap dollar store stuff I keep on hand to spray and wipe clean the countertops, really any soap in a spray bottle that does not have solvents or ammonia in it - NO windex!). Spray and wipe with a soft clean cloth. Repeat a few times without letting the soapy water puddle for long on the surface. Dry with a cloth. Then leave it to dry thoroughly (many hours, up to 24, assuming humidity is controlled by AC) - maybe that is all that is necessary. If that worked well, but the remnants are still there, repeat the process.

The next level of cleaning I would use is an alcohol - many people have rubbing alcohol in the house, that works, or maybe denatured alcohol (repeat alcohol, NOT ACETONE). TEST the alcohol first on an inconspicuous place, because a shellac finish (only one I think) would be affected by alcohols. Highly unlikely that a dining room table is finished with shellac as the topcoat, because it is reasonable to expect an alcohol spill on a DR table at some point. If the finish passes this test in an inconspicuous area, then try to clean the spot using a clean soft cloth: wet the cloth and gently apply/wipe. Repeat several times. Allow sufficient time to dry thoroughly before assessing whether anything else is needed. Dry thoroughly means hours not minutes - as alcohols can penetrate the finish without damaging it.

NO abrasive materials or cleaners should be used - nothing containing wax or silicone.

If that does not cleanup the sticky mess, there may be damage to the finish. I'll let others speak to how to deal with that.

Henry

Jeff

New User
Jeff
She reports that something was left on the table for a while and now has left a eight inch circle "sticky."

What is "something" and how did she try to remove the "sticky"?

The TA website says that it's a mahogany veneer but they don't give any info about how it's finished. So...:confused:

Woodmolds

Tony
User
There's a high probability it's some type lacquer finish. Lacquer is used in many production environments, because of it's speed of drying and ease of touch up and repair ability.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Thanks, guys.

I am informed that the item left on the table was a "flower sachet." I think this means that either the flowers in the "bag"(?) were not entirely dry (water damage) or that the sachet had been perfumed in some way (alcohol damage?).

I would have guessed lacquer but I appreciate the thoughts. My initial advice was to "wait" and see what happens before doing anything drastic. When I chat with her tomorrow, we'll discuss options. (I guess if it was really lacquer, then the sachet must have had acetone or something in it, yes?)

PS - The circle is only 4" in diameter, not 8" (She meant "diameter" when she told me "radius." ;))

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I am informed that the item left on the table was a "flower sachet." I think this means that either the flowers in the "bag"(?) were not entirely dry (water damage) or that the sachet had been perfumed in some way (alcohol damage?).

The surface finish (lacquer?) may not be damaged at all. A "before" picture would be helpful.

1. Has the table been waxed regularly by her? Try removing the wax and the "sticky" with mineral spirits. That test won't hurt shellac, lacquers, varnishes, or polyurethanes. :eusa_clap

2. Sachets can be mixtures of a lot of things from flower petals to essential oils dripped onto something absorbent like cotton cloth and the whole gemisch is put in a cloth bag. The "sticky" could be some of those oils sitting on the surface but without underlying damage.

See the "Oils and Blends"section.

http://essentialhealth.com/2013/11/making-sachets-with-essential-oils/

Mineral spirits or citrus solvent (from orange peels) should remove the oils and wax.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Jeff,

Great thoughts (and research!)

Well, the ship has sailed. Last night my co-worker hit the sticky spot with some 320 grit sandpaper. Word is that the stickiness is gone! LOL

This weekend, she is going to use a ROS starting at 600, then 1000, then 2000 to do the entire top.

I have recommended to her the Charles Neil YouTube videos on rubbing out a finish.

Pray.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Well, the ship has sailed.

OMG, it's a veneered table top, not solid wood. Her plan is nonsensical but that's her plan and she's sticking to it.

The new, improved, and durable table top will get a finish X, Y, or Z that may or may not match the rest of the table (aprons, legs, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS