Finish mixture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some "Master Blend" 100% Tung Oil which has a finish formula printed on the label.

It is one part Turpentine, one part varnish, and two parts Tung oil.

I would like to add some Trans Tint dye.

Anyone familiar with doing this I would like some advice.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I tend to use the dye mixed in water or alcohol prior to using a Varnish Oil finish like that. The water will raise the grain so a light sanding after applying the dye with 320 grit before applying the Varnish Oil. My favorite brand of Varnish Oil is "Tried and True" - yours should be good also.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I tend to use dyes the way Ken suggested above. Apply the dye in a water mix first, lightly sand, then apply a finish coat of oil/varnish. However, the Trans tint site has the following statement, which would indicate it can be mixed w/ pretty much anything.

TO USE AS A FINISH TONER – One of TransTint Dyes most unique features is their compatibility with a wide range of finishing mediums. Simply add the dye concentrate directly to shellac, water-base finishes, solvent lacquers, and catalyzed varnish or lacquers. Add any amount up to 1 oz. per quart. All 19 dye colors (10 wood tones & 9 accent colors) are intermixable to produce custom shades.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Transtint is not oil soluble.

You would have to either dye the wood first, or switch to shellac or a WB finish.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
If your'e using Transtint give Jeff Jewitt a call. He's a good guy and since he makes the stuff he can answer any and all questions about it's use.

Pop

Jeff

New User
Jeff
From the Homestead Finishes Trans Tint technical data sheet.

• TransTints are not recommended for adding to oil based finishes like stains, varnishes, polyurethanes, linseed and Tung oil. You can usually work around having to add TransTint to oils by using TransTints in shellac or some other medium that it does mix with. If you have a situation where you must add TransTints to any oil or oil product that thins with mineral spirits, contact us for an additive that will disperse the dye into oil finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS